• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup games

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Beat two non-league sides along the way to redress the balance a bit.
Especially the 3rd Round game at Maidstone,who had beaten the Grecians a couple of seasons before & had beaten 3rd Division Gillingham in the previous round.They were a top non league team.
One sensed it was going to be a special season when the Grecians triumphed on a mud heap that day.

Oldsmobile-88

40th anniversary next year.
The Cup run started 40 years ago on Sunday(22nd Nov)
The Leatherhead Lip(Chris Kelly) did Brian Godfreys job by motivating the team with a few comments about how they were going to turn the Grecians over 😁
Godfrey was not happy about the disrespect & reminded the team what had been said before they went out...5-0.Thank you very much.

Last edited:

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Would love to have been at the Barnstaple game!

Colesman Ballz

40th anniversary next year.
To be pedantic it is actually the 40th anniversary THlS season ! We are just drawn away to Gillingham rather than at Millwall. Now we might dislike the Priestfield Stadium, but it is light years ahead of that S***hole that was the old Den ! :sick:

Nigel E

We have had a few more defeats(3)since those days so could hold the record again ?
Oh god, this is tempting me into working it out. Must resist the urge.

RedPaul

Well-known Exeweb poster
Still think the tonking live on TV at D&R takes some beating. We were lucky to get 0.
I was one of the unfortunates to be there on that terrace behind the goal whilst their version of the cowshed was rocking.

We have had a pretty good record there since, and some great games.

Oldsmobile-88

Still think the tonking live on TV at D&R takes some beating. We were lucky to get 0.
I was one of the unfortunates to be there on that terrace behind the goal whilst their version of the cowshed was rocking.

We have had a pretty good record there since, and some great games.
I had forgotten that defeat..Another to the list.

Oldsmobile-88

A memorable Cup run of 6 games though the Grecians did not progress past the 3rd Round was 89/90..2x Dartford,Maidstone(again !) & Norwich.
The latter being a long old drag on the coach for a midweeker only 4 days after the original game at SJP...I remember going into work on the Monday saying l needed the Wednesday off 😁..A load of work had to be cancelled by pi55ed off work planner(RIP Alan,a top fella)

Rosencrantz

A memorable Cup run of 6 games though the Grecians did not progress past the 3rd Round was 89/90..2x Dartford,Maidstone(again !) & Norwich.
The latter being a long old drag on the coach for a midweeker only 4 days after the original game at SJP...I remember going into work on the Monday saying l needed the Wednesday off 😁..A load of work had to be cancelled by pi55ed off work planner(RIP Alan,a top fella)
The replay against Maidstone at the Park was a really wet night and tricky conditions ending in a 3-2 thriller with the rarity of a missed penalty by Dazza. I think it was the only time that season he went to the keepers left and Mark Beeney saved. Dazza still scored twice that night though.

Oldsmobile-88

The replay against Maidstone at the Park was a really wet night and tricky conditions ending in a 3-2 thriller with the rarity of a missed penalty by Dazza. I think it was the only time that season he went to the keepers left and Mark Beeney saved. Dazza still scored twice that night though.
One of my most memorable games at SJP..Two teams going for it in horrendous conditions.
Mark Gall & Steve Butler were a handful for the Grecian defence that night.
The game went to Extra Time before the Grecians got the winner.