• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

FA Cup games

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I can't really remember. It was the season Man Utd didn't play. Something to do with the Euro's maybe?
Ah yes..There was a FIFA tournament in Brazil.
The FA pressured MU to take part in the misguided idea that they may get a few delegates votes for the upcoming vote on the 2006 WC 🤣🤣🤣

Bad idea moving the 3rd round to Dec even for one season,probably the start of the downward spiral in the Interest in the Comp from clubs & public alike.

geoffwp

99/00 season we took Everton to a replay at Goodison after Stuart Naylor/Jason Matthews heroics. It was the season we had Gary Alexander and the third round was in December 🤐. It was absolutely freezing at the replay and we got done late on by Nicky Barmby.
I seem to remember we kept singing Liverpool songs, much to the annoyance of the Everton fans who spent a lot of the game booing us.😄 until Barmby!😡

Red Devon

One particularly exciting FA Cup match I can remember City 2-2 Bristol Rovers Second Round 98/99 with a cracking atmosphere at the park from both sets of supporters.....iirc City went 2-0 up against Rovers who were top half in the league above...the game finished 2-2 but the result at the time was pretty Impressive for the Grecians....unfortunately the less said about the replay the better.

Oldsmobile-88

One particularly exciting FA Cup match I can remember City 2-2 Bristol Rovers Second Round 98/99 with a cracking atmosphere at the park from both sets of supporters.....iirc City went 2-0 up against Rovers who were top half in the league above...the game finished 2-2 but the result at the time was pretty Impressive for the Grecians....unfortunately the less said about the replay the better.
Jamie Cureton was playing for the Gasheads in that game & scored.

Red Devon

Had to didn’t he :(

Red Devon

They had a conveyor belt of top strikers around that time... Cureton, Stewart, Jason Roberts, Penrice (second spell) Nathan Ellington I think there were others too.

Last edited:

Oldsmobile-88

The seasons before & after the Man U FA Cup game season,the Grecians did not reach the 1st round proper.
Losing at Gravesend in 2003/04(replay) & at SJP
against Stevenage in 2005/06 in the 4th qualifying rounds
A strange old time the ‘naughts’ for the Grecians.Highs & very lows.

grecIAN Harris

I think that was the only game where my Dad and I have ever left early.

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
He usually did!

Grecian 1901

Head to Head League and FA Cup.