• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

F1 2020

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Only the tyres was a worry for Hamilton but as Bottas and Verstappen were also suffering it was really a canter. The Renault's finished strongly with Danny Ric storming the last lap and catching Max quickly. Monza might be tasty for them.

However Monza looks like a nightmare waiting to happen for the Ferrari's. Beaten fair and square by Kimi in an Alfa and only Williams and Haas behind. The only consolation is the Tifosi won't be there to witness it.

Gasly is continuing his good form in the Alpha Tauri, got a bit stuffed with the safety car being already on the hard so effectively lost a pit stop.

George Russell will be glad he was able to avoid that tyre and suspension and was able to walk away without much harm.

Rosencrantz

Watching this on Sky+ and just watching the replays of Gasly's move on Perez up Eau Rouge. Yikes, not much room there for Pierre. Perez left a car's width and a cigarette paper.

IndoMike

Watching this on Sky+ and just watching the replays of Gasly's move on Perez up Eau Rouge. Yikes, not much room there for Pierre. Perez left a car's width and a cigarette paper.
The commentators said it would have been a plane crash if they had touched.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member

Rosencrantz

Ferrari have up grades coming for Monza.

Rosencrantz

The Williams family is stepping away from Williams Racing and F1 after this weekend's Italian GP. And with them really goes the last of the garagistes. Even though a more level playing field regulations is coming in, F1 is now solely competed for by major car manufacturers, investment companies, conglomerates or billionaire brand boosters.

I think Claire in particular is due a lot of respect for ensuring the Williams name and racing team continue on after what has been an increasingly tough period going back to the 2008 global crash with increasing dominance and expense being put in by major manufacturers.

spanky

exeweb.com eejit
Staff member
Please do not let it be a Genii Capital MKII.

Stuffy

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Williams family is stepping away from Williams Racing and F1 after this weekend's Italian GP.
Regarding the Williams team's limited success, am I right in thinking that it's against F1 rules for a manufacturer to provide a rival team with engines that are decidedly inferior those used by it's own works team?
Any news of Cosworth's future plans to return to F1? Also, when Mercedes sold Ilmore Engineering, was there a proviso that they could no longer build engines for F1 teams?

Rosencrantz

Regarding the Williams team's limited success, am I right in thinking that it's against F1 rules for a manufacturer to provide a rival team with engines that are decidedly inferior those used by it's own works team?
Any news of Cosworth's future plans to return to F1? Also, when Mercedes sold Ilmore Engineering, was there a proviso that they could no longer build engines for F1 teams?
The works manufacturers have to provide their customer teams engines that are identical and can be used the same in every way to their own including the different engine modes, which with the new rules from this weekend isn't probably now so important. I think Williams problems came more from lack of money to develop the chassis in recent years.

I believe both Ilmor and Cosworth were considering and looking for partners to come back to F1 as engine suppliers in 2021, now I presume 2022, when the new regs and cost caps kick in. I am not sure how that is going but it's unlikely that the current manufacturers, maybe apart from Renault, would be able to supply anymore teams than there are already. Ilmor has already been helping Honda in an advisory capacity when they were struggling to get there new engine up to speed.

There was interest from a UK based, Asian backed company to be called Panthera Team Asia and also Campos Racing, the Spanish team who race in junior formula's to join F1 in 2021 but are now looking at 2022 at the earliest. A lot will depend on how level the playing field is and how effective the cost caps. Although Mercedes have signed the new Concorde Agreement, I think they have their doubts long term and are already maybe shifting focus to Formula E.

Rosencrantz

Banning party modes to drag Mercedes back hasn't gone well. New fastest lap record for Hamilton with Bottas not far behind. Behind them it's very close between Red Bull, McLaren, Racing Point, Renault and Alpha Tauri. Great qualifying by Sainz though in particular...and then he looks at next season. Leclerc drove a pretty perfect lap and came 13th only beating the Williams and other Ferrari powered cars. And then Vettel out on Q1 thanks to insanity in trying to get a slipstream between a gaggle of drivers which saw closer racing than in most races.