• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

F1 2020

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
Is Hamilton damaging the sport with his off track stuff ?
What off track stuff?

Spanks

Administrator
Staff member
Is Hamilton damaging the sport with his off track stuff ?
Apart from his questionable taste in clothes and music 😂

Good on him. Better to speak out and occasionally get it wrong, than to never say anything.

Dannyred

Off track stuff is off track. He is free to express himself and if it does bring F1 into disrepute then Mercedes and the FIA will step in. It won't stop people having an opinion about him personally, but that always happens and he has had split opinions of him from the start of his career in F1. I'm not sure why people would take against F1 as a whole just because of Lewis.

You need to remember how many people Lewis has brought to F1 and how much money with it as well which has always been the bottom line in the sport.
It seems the FIA have stepped in now.

Going onto a podium wearing a T-shirt was unprofessional and should not of happened.

Rosencrantz

Going onto a podium wearing a T-shirt was unprofessional and should not of happened.
The FIA can be very antsy about their podium procedure. They are looking in to what regulation he broke but it is not clear which as none seem to fit. I expect in typical FIA fashion they will bring in a new one for the next race if they are really worried about it. But a fine of some kind is hardly going to bother Lewis and he got the message out as have other sportspeople in basketball and tennis who have done similar.

Mercedes as you would expect know their stance.

iscalad

The FIA can be very antsy about their podium procedure. They are looking in to what regulation he broke but it is not clear which as none seem to fit. I expect in typical FIA fashion they will bring in a new one for the next race if they are really worried about it. But a fine of some kind is hardly going to bother Lewis and he got the message out as have other sportspeople in basketball and tennis who have done similar.

Mercedes as you would expect know their stance.

I agree with Mercedes. However, I suspect the sponsors will be upset as their advertising, which is plastered all over F1 drivers overalls, has been hijacked.

Rosencrantz

I agree with Mercedes. However, I suspect the sponsors will be upset as their advertising, which is plastered all over F1 drivers overalls, has been hijacked.
The sponsors will bring it up with Mercedes if they are unhappy, not the FIA. I doubt it would be publicised as I doubt the sponsors would want to go against the message.

Breaking news, the FIA are not continuing the investigation but will look into their regulations as I predicted.

Rosencrantz

I don't want to clutter this F1 thread up in going into general sport but why single out Lewis and not many other sports stars that have and continue to raise the same issue. For example, is Naomi Osaka damaging tennis? Surely Danny, raising issues around human rights and equality go beyond being "unprofessional" by wearing a t shirt. I am sure the sponsors will see that as to come out and criticise would only risk damaging their brand.

With the work going into equality in F1 by the stakeholders alongside Lewis, I suspect the FIA will tread very carefully.

Red Devon

An eventful qualifying session in Sochi for the Russian GP today....Hamilton on pole despite very nearly not making it into quali three after Vettel caused the session to be stopped with shunt...on a side note I thought Karun Chandhok did a good job in the commentary box he comes across as very enthusiastic.

Rosencrantz

An eventful qualifying session in Sochi for the Russian GP today....Hamilton on pole despite very nearly not making it into quali three after Vettel caused the session to be stopped with shunt...on a side note I thought Karun Chandhok did a good job in the commentary box he comes across as very enthusiastic.
Should be interesting tomorrow as though Hamilton blasted everyone away in Q3, his adventures in Q2 give Verstappen and Bottas the advantage of starting on better tyres and a better strategy. Close in the midfield behind them again, we'll have to see if Leclerc can join in as well.

Karun is very good and knowledgeable as his lockdown F1 quizzing showed 🙂. Along with Anthony Davidson and Paul Di Resta, Sky do have an enviable cast for when Martin Brundle isn't available. Indeed they can rotate this year with ease, even without Simon Thomas presenting. It's only Ted I really miss if he isn't there and Crofty who needs to pull his socks up a bit. Alex Jacques who does commentary on F2 & F3 is very good alongside Alex Brundle and, this weekend, Matt Gallagher.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member