• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

F A Youth Cup Exeter City V AFC Bournemouth Match Day Thread Kick Off 7.00 (streamed on youtube)

Christian

I'm not sure you can say if X player started then we would have won the game

SaintJames

Well-known Exeweb poster
There's always yet another league game however FA Cup games are few and far between in a young players career. I think it would have benefitted Alfie and equally his teammates if he had started

Maxi08

I'm not sure you can say if X player started then we would have won the game
Look how we dominated when he came on , Harry Lee and the lads at the back looked a lot more comfortable with pond in the side , I’m sorry but Gribble made a huge mistake leaving him out and I think a few of the lads feel the same 🤔🤔

AmberRed

Look how we dominated when he came on , Harry Lee and the lads at the back looked a lot more comfortable with pond in the side , I’m sorry but Gribble made a huge mistake leaving him out and I think a few of the lads feel the same 🤔🤔
I tend to agree, I thought they looked much more comfortable once Pond was on!

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
Youth football has never been about the result on the pitch. It has always been about developing players. On Pond, maybe the coaches feel he will develop further and faster playing for Tivvy and prioritised this rather than the FA youth Cup. Maybe they wanted to give younger players exposure that would develop them more. Its never as straight forward as some make out on here.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Youth football is all about player development and getting them to first team level. Although the boys might feel differently at the moment, long term Alfie will get more out of 90 minutes in the SLP tomorrow playing alongside the likes of Woody and Gary Warren than he would have last night. I can't remember such a young player being fast tracked for loan by the club before as Alfie. It clearly shows how much he is rated.

Our back four last night was the back four that has played most of the season. It would probably have been equally unfair and a step back for the development of Ed James if he was to be left out because it was a big game.

Maxi08

Youth football has never been about the result on the pitch. It has always been about developing players. On Pond, maybe the coaches feel he will develop further and faster playing for Tivvy and prioritised this rather than the FA youth Cup. Maybe they wanted to give younger players exposure that would develop them more. Its never as straight forward as some make out on here.
Sorry Martin I totally disagree, the youth cup is for your strongest team available hence why it’s played at stadiums and is a prestigious competition, Tiverton didn’t have a game midweek so no reason to rest Alfie or prioritise anything , all the boys will be off to Portsmouth on sat morning at 6am and Alfie will be playing for Tiverton so no reason to rest him or give him special treatment

Maxi08

Youth football is all about player development and getting them to first team level. Although the boys might feel differently at the moment, long term Alfie will get more out of 90 minutes in the SLP tomorrow playing alongside the likes of Woody and Gary Warren than he would have last night. I can't remember such a young player being fast tracked for loan by the club before as Alfie. It clearly shows how much he is rated.

Our back four last night was the back four that has played most of the season. It would probably have been equally unfair and a step back for the development of Ed James if he was to be left out because it was a big game.
I don’t think lee has played in goal for most of the season a bit unfair on sowden then and a step back on his development being left out of a big game 🤔

Rosencrantz

I don’t think lee has played in goal for most of the season a bit unfair on sowden then and a step back on his development being left out of a big game 🤔
Harry has been in goal for the last few games I think apart from the previous game where he rushed up to Rochdale to cover Scott Brown.

Last edited:

andrew p long

Predictably Pond plays - and stars for - the full 95 minutes for Tivvy today. I would have prioritised the FA Youth Cup over today's Tivvy game, but can understand the opposite view, particularly if the aim is to fast track Alfie Pond toward the first team.