• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeweb Steering Committee Statement

zider

Never have liked the term 'Chair'. 'Chairman' is correct as it refers to a non-gender specific position. Unlike 'midwife' which is, of course, very gender specific and should never be applied to a male ... [y]
midwife is someone to help a woman , can be a man or a women ;)

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Lol, zider, I know we have male midwives but - strictly speaking - they should have another term for them. 'Wife' is derived from the Old English 'wif' meaning woman. Hence 'fishwife', 'housewife' etc. 'Mid' comes from the Middle English meaning 'with'. So a midwife is a 'woman who is with', in this case a pregnant woman.
And just to keep things vauely on topic, a 'committee' was originally one person to whom something was committed...

I like etymology, me ... :)

Last edited:

grecian greg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think this is a great idea, thank you les and the team for taking exeweb on, well done [y]

ecfc girl

Well-known Exeweb poster
A quick question here.

If you've got Adam (Northants Grecian for those that don't know) as a financial backer how can you remain as an independent forum, as he is an elected member of the BOS. Surely that's a conflict of interest and shouldn't be allowed?

No offence to Adam, of course.

Swanaldo

Very well known Exeweb poster
If he's a truly silent member, it doesn't matter surely. If I chuck a tenner to the Air Ambulance I don't expect to be allowed to fly the helicopter.

lmartin

Administrator
I don't particularly see it as a conflict of interest as Adam isn't getting involved with the running of the site.

Adam has always been a keen supporter of Exeweb and I understand has donated before. When all of us first got together and people were becoming involved, Adam was keen to contribute in some way. His interest stems from then.

He has pledged to fund us as if he was a member of the committee but he will not be taking up the role. i.e. he will not be a signed up member to the steering committee, will not take part in committee discussions or vote on anything the committee votes on. He will not have mod access like the rest of us and will essentially just carry on as a regular user.

There isn't a lot of difference between that and if he had just made a donation to us - except that his interest is 'noted' and we have made it public so that we can properly explain it.

Oli

I don't particularly see it as a conflict of interest as Adam isn't getting involved with the running of the site.
Well there clearly is one. I'm with Moxers on this, I think all this openness and committees is a hiding to nothing. Just own it and provide a forum, if you can cover the costs with adverts then great. But don't ask us the great unwashed. It'll never be completely independent with the people you have on the board, no offence intended. Just aim to be so.

Grecian Max

Oli, Moxey etc, I would suggest you are taking this whole thing a lil too seriously :D

Fair play to them lot that want to fund exeweb and keep it going, someone has to do to it otherwise we'd have to use some sh*tty Vital board or summit. Can't see how anything they say is negative, too wordy perhaps and I too cringed a little when I saw the titles (chairman, treasurer etc), but overall they are keeping a site that I regulary read and use going. Good stuff and good luck.

ForeverECFC

:) Exeweb could do with 'Like' buttons for posts ha.
I agree.

http://www.exeweb.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44317

Shabba's Back

And my last post got removed :) this is just funny