• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeweb age census

How old are you

• 0-18 (sort it out Caldwell)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • 19-30 (sort it out Tisdale)

Votes: 20 10.5%
  • 31-50 (sort it out Bally)

Votes: 74 38.9%
  • 51-70 (sort it out Saxton)

Votes: 78 41.1%
  • 71 + (sort it out Chadwick)

Votes: 17 8.9%

• Total voters
I still enjoy Exeweb, having joined when it was GreciaNet in the mid 1990s. I just found an old membership list for GreciaNet from August 1997 - quite a few names who are still around now, but only two women. I wonder if that has changed now? Maybe not much....
Are you suggesting a gender poll? [hears sound of can of worms opening]

Red Nose

I still enjoy Exeweb, having joined when it was GreciaNet in the mid 1990s. I just found an old membership list for GreciaNet from August 1997 - quite a few names who are still around now, but only two women. I wonder if that has changed now? Maybe not much....
I think GreciaNet and Exeweb were two different sites, and possibly even rivals. The former was run by Paul Garnham, who if I recall correctly, used to get his folks to send him cuttings from the Echo to his student digs, which he would then scan and post on Exeweb, so that Exiles could read match reports etc. I don't think it ever had a forum, but it did have a email based mailing list, which I was a member of for a while. Exeweb, was set up by Steve Morris, and had a forum and chat room. After many re-incarnations Exeweb continues to this day.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
The difference in chat quality between Exeweb and social media is striking and - especially with Facebook - counterintuitive. Facebook has an older user-ship profile and no one’s supposed to enjoy anonymity on it, yet fans frequently type bullocks there about ECFC issues, whereas many enjoy anonymity here, but tend to be much more thoughtful. Guess it’s partly due to the longer discussion format that, despite social media trends, means Exeweb remains a home for the really committed which, in the Trust era, maintains an extra level of importance.

IMO, being an Exeweb member is (generally) a signifier of not age but fan maturity. The site is a really important part of the supporter ecosystem, and long may it continue. The moderators deserve our thanks
On Facebook it's all about moderation. I have run a City FB page for over 8 years and have learned to be very vigilant about who gets accepted into membership and what gets posted. I did once run one during the Tisdale era, that was an open group (at the end 3,500 members) and I learned from that as there were a few 'contributors' who were hell bent on disruption and stupidity. I eventually shut it down and started again, about 5 years ago, with a closed group which, so far, has been 'clean'.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I think GreciaNet and Exeweb were two different sites, and possibly even rivals. The former was run by Paul Garnham, who if I recall correctly, used to get his folks to send him cuttings from the Echo to his student digs, which he would then scan and post on Exeweb, so that Exiles could read match reports etc. I don't think it ever had a forum, but it did have a email based mailing list, which I was a member of for a while. Exeweb, was set up by Steve Morris, and had a forum and chat room. After many re-incarnations Exeweb continues to this day.
I mentioned GNet a while back in this thread. It was definitely a different animal and was a Google Group. I was (am, afaik) still a member but I have not posted on it or even looked at it for a number of years now. When I was on there, Neil Le Milliere was the 'main man'. When I joined it it was a forum, of sorts.
From memory, many years ago, the club website had its own forum. Exeweb was in its infancy. In the Russell and Lewis era, some folk started posting 'comments' about them, so they had the forum shut down. That was when everyone turned to Exeweb and it grew in membership and usage. It would have been around 2002/2003.

Oldsmobile-88

On Facebook it's all about moderation. I have run a City FB page for over 8 years and have learned to be very vigilant about who gets accepted into membership and what gets posted. I did once run one during the Tisdale era, that was an open group (at the end 3,500 members) and I learned from that as there were a few 'contributors' who were hell bent on disruption and stupidity. I eventually shut it down and started again, about 5 years ago, with a closed group which, so far, has been 'clean'.
I should have made it clear in my post that I was not talking about your FB group Pete 😎

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
Perhaps the club shop could introduce City slippers and cardigans, the type with big leather buttons like footballs.
Genius. How about an ECFC strap for specs so they can be hung around the neck ?

Sort it out Club Shop.

Pete Martin (CTID)

I should have made it clear in my post that I was not talking about your FB group Pete 😎
Thanks Olds, but I was actually responding to WXF. 🙂

Radio Free Skaro

I would seriously get one of those!

Radio Free Skaro

Genius. How about an ECFC strap for specs so they can be hung around the neck ?

Sort it out Club Shop.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Me too.