• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter vs Torquay United friendly

fred binneys head

Very well known Exeweb poster
I met deano at a Derby County game when my son was a flag bearer through his local team. I went in my City jacket and stood by the tunnel as the players came out, shouted deano over and had a chat. He’s definitely one of us, Antony is right.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
No, you’re right, I mean, how on earth would a family know about one of its members? Suffice to say I know from talking to various family members over the years that Deano is City through and through, but if you think you know better about his feelings for the club then I’ll go with your obviously better judgment.
This is irrelevant, my judgement is based on actions on the pitch, who you are related to and who you speak to makes no difference to that.

Antony Moxey

This is irrelevant, my judgement is based on actions on the pitch, who you are related to and who you speak to makes no difference to that.
You said he no longer had the desire - you can only know that if you speak to him or those closest to him. You can judge his abilities and performances all you like, but you can't dispute his desire to do well.

STURTZ

Undoubtably Deano had the desire, but often that desire led him into areas of the pitch and into performing desperate actions that did us no favours at all!

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
You said he no longer had the desire - you can only know that if you speak to him or those closest to him. You can judge his abilities and performances all you like, but you can't dispute his desire to do well.
Desire can be shown on the pitch and on the training ground.

Trapdoor

Deano was a fantastic player for us over the years. A city legend in my book. That wembley game was lost even if we had 11 men on the pitch. In 5 years time we will look back and know that his sending off was not a big deal.

That being said Im glad we are now getting the youngsters some game time. Deano had a great career with us but now its time for the young uns to step up.

older-codger

Deano was of course at one time an academy graduate, fast tracked into the first team due to the circumstances at the time. He came in and showed the desire to do his best for his home town club. including the goal that ultimately led to the club's survival. He moved away to further his career, which was to be expected, and was very happy to return in the twilight of his career. Having watched his progress throughout his career, I have never seen anything but full commitment to ECFC. In common with every other footballer who has played the game, there were occasions when he was below his best, but never, ever would I consider that this was because he had lost his desire for the success of the club.

The time has now come for a new batch of academy graduates to progress their careers and I look forward to seeing future successes. I doubt that any of them will have more desire for ECFC than Deano however.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Deano was of course at one time an academy graduate, fast tracked into the first team due to the circumstances at the time. He came in and showed the desire to do his best for his home town club. including the goal that ultimately led to the club's survival. He moved away to further his career, which was to be expected, and was very happy to return in the twilight of his career. Having watched his progress throughout his career, I have never seen anything but full commitment to ECFC. In common with every other footballer who has played the game, there were occasions when he was below his best, but never, ever would I consider that this was because he had lost his desire for the success of the club.

The time has now come for a new batch of academy graduates to progress their careers and I look forward to seeing future successes. I doubt that any of them will have more desire for ECFC than Deano however.
OC agree 100% with everything you have written. Have spoken to Deano on a few occasions a really nice guy no airs and graces and 100% City through and through. Having said that it would be great to see him have a really good season with the Gulls and play an active role in seeing them return to the EFL.

Reactions: IBA