• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter vs Newport County - EFL Trophy - predictions and discussion thread.

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
I don't think these do actually count as a first team game anymore since the u21 teams were included. As for the rules See Here. Rule 7.2.2 is your friend for loan player availability and Rule 7 in general for qualifying players.

To be fair, I looked up the rules before I posted as I thought that players on loan to the NL such as Alfie and Nelson wouldn't be eligible but Harry would as he is at Dorchester in the SPL. As they are all involved today it could be a moot point anyway.
(y) Thanks - looks like you're right that Alfie and Nelson are eligible if Torquay and Yeovil have so agreed. Yes, these rules are new to me!

Its odd that the rules now appear to be the other way round from your original thought - with Harry not eligible because his loan is not to the National League. PS Olds is right - these games now more important for youngsters without the U23s. I'd like to see Nelson involved if he doesn't get on as a sub today

tom_ecfc

Would love to this formation: -

Brown
Diabate, Hartridge, Grounds
Caprice, Sparkes
Harper
Chauke, Borges,
Coley, Cox

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Would love to this formation: -

Brown
Diabate, Hartridge, Grounds
Caprice, Sparkes
Harper
Chauke, Borges,
Coley, Cox
Only 4 from academy - awful !
UTC

DawlishBouy

(y) Thanks - looks like you're right that Alfie and Nelson are eligible if Torquay and Yeovil have so agreed. Yes, these rules are new to me!

Its odd that the rules now appear to be the other way round from your original thought - with Harry not eligible because his loan is not to the National League. PS Olds is right - these games now more important for youngsters without the U23s. I'd like to see Nelson involved if he doesn't get on as a sub today
Players loaned to clubs below National League level can come back to play any game at any time because they can be registered to play for more than one club so long as the clubs are in different leagues.

andrew p long

Players loaned to clubs below National League level can come back to play any game at any time because they can be registered to play for more than one club so long as the clubs are in different leagues.
(y) thanks - I'm learning a lot this afternoon!

AmberRed

No they're not I'm afraid, they can only play U21 games (which we haven't got any), none of the loan players will be eligible to play tomorrow!

richard_portland

Backing Gary Caldwell, thanks Matt and good luck.
I did note from reading the rules that at the end of the group if second and third place had equal points and same goal diff and then goals scored and then had also won the same amount of games and then had also drawn the game between the two sides tied on points that lots would be drawn.

I would have thought if that ever did happen then it would be fairer to give it to the side which had won the shootout instead of resorting to lots. Unless of course we had lost the shootout when I would reserve the right to think lots would be a great idea 🤣

Spoonz Red E

I did note from reading the rules that at the end of the group if second and third place had equal points and same goal diff and then goals scored and then had also won the same amount of games and then had also drawn the game between the two sides tied on points that lots would be drawn.

I would have thought if that ever did happen then it would be fairer to give it to the side which had won the shootout instead of resorting to lots. Unless of course we had lost the shootout when I would reserve the right to think lots would be a great idea 🤣
I don't see the need for lots to be drawn when we have a photographer at matches.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't see the need for lots to be drawn when we have a photographer at matches.
That's a sketchy argument.

Colesman Ballz

That's a sketchy argument.
Or a snappy response !