• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Salford discussion thread

Legohead

Banned
Hopefully the new manager bounce won't strike against us when newly appointed plastics boss, sorry, Salford boss Gary Bowyer brings his team to the Park. On that basis alone it adds an extra level of difficulty for us to overcome to get the 3 points, even given the fact that Salford have lost 10 away games this season which is a feat only equalled by Vale, Barrow and Grimsby. Even given the fact that they have only scored 13 league goals away from home which is significantly fewer than the rest of the teams in the top 10. Crawley in 10th place being next worst and they have scored 8 more on 21 away goals.

Contrast this to the home form of Salford who have not yet lost a league game at home this season which is remarkable. They have only won once in their last 8 games, a 1-0 home win against Port Vale yet they sit a place behind us, on the same number of games played but 2 points behind us. A win for us would see that distance to them stretch to 5 points but a win for them would see them leapfrog us.

Their last away league win was at the very beginning of December at Scunny and they needed a last minute Ian Henderson goal to get a 1-0 win. Not impressive. In fact, all but one of their away wins this season have been 1-0 to Salford. The exception being a 4-0 rout of Grimsby in their second game but 3 of those were penalties! So it's not likely to be a humdinger this game.

An interesting fixture because i am not entirely sure what we are going to get from Salford and at the same time, i'm not sure what we are going to get from us given the appalling performances in our last 3 matches. The result is anybody's guess.

I have a feeling that we are now in a bit of a rut that we will find hard to get out of given our personnel issues, especially in attack. Since Scunny, Jay has been anonymous. Randall is out. Bowman had an energetic and combative restart after suspension, but has quickly faded into a taller version of Seymour. Runs about a bit but does little else. Seymour won't change our fortunes, neither will Fisher and Ajose is just a tw&t so where do we go from here?

Some serious work to be done this week about how we want to line up in this game and how we want to approach it. Home advantage may see us nick this, especially given the atrocious record of Salford away. However, if Bowyer simply gets Salford well drilled ala Walsall, then i'd seriously be concerned as to how we will break them down.

I'm going for a scrappy 1-0 win to get our season back on track. Bowman simply has to score because a sixth game without a goal is not acceptable in this league for a primary striker. Bowman and 1-0 to the City.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
2-1 win. Very tense and scrappy affair.

Matt Jay and Archie Collins for us.

Jay misses a penalty as the ball travels too slowly to reach the keeper.

Ajose on the bench and comes on for a 3 minute cameo without touching the ball.

Legohead

Banned
More like we struggle to create any chances, Salford score with their only attack on 54 minutes. MT waits for 20 minutes before making an attacking sub which would be Seymour instead of trying something different for a change through desperation which might actually work. We then become resigned to defeat after MT relies on Seymour to get us out of the brown stuff and then brings Fisher on with 45 seconds of the game remaining. Ajose is filmed sleeping in the stands dreaming of all the free money he's conned out of the football club.

Grecian2K

Another game in which an "utterly dominant" Exeter somehow contrive to lose by the odd goal.

Hants to spend Saturday night in meltdown trying to merge the many, many separate "Taylor Out" threads that are popping up like a game of Grecian whack-a-mole.

Last edited:

Alistair20000

Another game in which an "utterly dominant" Exeter somehow contrive to lose by the odd goal.

Hants to spend Saturday night in meltdown trying to merge the many, many separate "Taylor Out" threads that are popping up like a game of Grecian whack-a-mole.
Thank you for your contribution Boris :)

tonykellowfan

On the basis of what we saw last night we should go back to a 4-2-3-1:

Jokul

Page Hartridge McCardle Key

Taylor Collins

Sparkes Jay Willmott

Bowman

Legohead

Banned
On the basis of what we saw last night we should go back to a 4-2-3-1:

Jokul

Page Hartridge McCardle Key

Taylor Collins

Sparkes Jay Willmott

Bowman
Agree with this. This is the strongest, most effective line up we could possibly put out i think given the current circumstances. Although Parkes and Sweeney are able replacements in defensive areas for sure. The bench is ridiculously poor though from an offensive perspective, which we all know anyway. Which is why i just hope and pray we start games well and get a lead because there ain't much we can do to change things if we are behind and playing badly.

ExmouthMart

Andresson
Page Parkes McArdle Caprice
Sparkes Taylor Collins Willmott
Jay Bowman
Key Fisher Seymour Hartridge Sweeney Atangana Lee

4-2 City. Jay(2) Taylor Willmott

Topsham Boy

Hopefully the new manager bounce won't strike against us when newly appointed plastics boss, sorry, Salford boss Gary Bowyer brings his team to the Park. On that basis alone it adds an extra level of difficulty for us to overcome to get the 3 points, even given the fact that Salford have lost 10 away games this season which is a feat only equalled by Vale, Barrow and Grimsby. Even given the fact that they have only scored 13 league goals away from home which is significantly fewer than the rest of the teams in the top 10. Crawley in 10th place being next worst and they have scored 8 more on 21 away goals.

Contrast this to the home form of Salford who have not yet lost a league game at home this season which is remarkable. They have only won once in their last 8 games, a 1-0 home win against Port Vale yet they sit a place behind us, on the same number of games played but 2 points behind us. A win for us would see that distance to them stretch to 5 points but a win for them would see them leapfrog us.

Their last away league win was at the very beginning of December at Scunny and they needed a last minute Ian Henderson goal to get a 1-0 win. Not impressive. In fact, all but one of their away wins this season have been 1-0 to Salford. The exception being a 4-0 rout of Grimsby in their second game but 3 of those were penalties! So it's not likely to be a humdinger this game.

An interesting fixture because i am not entirely sure what we are going to get from Salford and at the same time, i'm not sure what we are going to get from us given the appalling performances in our last 3 matches. The result is anybody's guess.

I have a feeling that we are now in a bit of a rut that we will find hard to get out of given our personnel issues, especially in attack. Since Scunny, Jay has been anonymous. Randall is out. Bowman had an energetic and combative restart after suspension, but has quickly faded into a taller version of Seymour. Runs about a bit but does little else. Seymour won't change our fortunes, neither will Fisher and Ajose is just a tw&t so where do we go from here?

Some serious work to be done this week about how we want to line up in this game and how we want to approach it. Home advantage may see us nick this, especially given the atrocious record of Salford away. However, if Bowyer simply gets Salford well drilled ala Walsall, then i'd seriously be concerned as to how we will break them down.

I'm going for a scrappy 1-0 win to get our season back on track. Bowman simply has to score because a sixth game without a goal is not acceptable in this league for a primary striker. Bowman and 1-0 to the City.
Draw I would say is the safe bet.

Red Devon

Newport haven’t got a game this Saturday so a great opportunity to close the gap to the playoffs to only one point and also put a five point gap between Salford and ourselves, we still have everything to play for.