• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Grimsby discussion thread

Legohead

Banned
Ok so we head to not so sunny Cleethorpes this weekend looking to stop the mini run that the Mariners have been on since Ollie Holloway took charge. A narrow 1 nil home win in his first game against Salford was quickly followed by an impressive victory at Mansfield by the same scoreline. I say impressive, not because Mansfield are any good these days but because the codheads had 10 men for most of the match following the 10th minute dismissal of Luke Waterfall.

This was then followed by a 1-1 draw away at Orient with Orient only getting a point with an injury time penalty by previously useless ex-Stags striker Lee Angol. So it appears that Mr Holloway has made an instant impact at Blundell Park but all good things must come to an end as they say.

I reckon if we can an early-ish goal then we could put them in a situation which they haven't had to deal with yet under Ollie and that would be interesting. I still think we will have enough to win this game though and i'll go for a nervy 2-1 win in the end.

Just to note that I should have put Grimsby v Exeter and not the other way around as it's an away game but i'm sure we all knew that anyway. We all make mistakes. :p

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
Tough assignment coming up for the Grecians.

Looks like Mr Holloway has lifted the Mariners from the doldrums.

Jason H

Administrator
Staff member
Seem to be a bit of a bogey side for us of late - last season we dominated up there (and had a penalty saved) in a 0-0, then *completely* dominated the return only to lose 2-1. And are they still the only side to beat us at the Park this season?

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes they are, I also quite liked Lee Angol thought he had something about him but each to their own.

If we start as slow and badly as we did on Saturday Grimsby will be 3 up before we know it and we won't be doing a Walsall so the cheeky chappy from Brizzle will be smiling all the way back home that night

I'm hoping that it was our odd off day that we keep throwing in there and that our new left sided signing has done the deed (not another match with Richardson out of position) and we go on to win 2-0 with goals from Bowman and Collins. One more match then left without Atangana so Jakey need to lift his game if he wants to keep playing. I am also hoping for some more game time for Ajose in this one perhaps 20 mins?

les.gtfc

It's quite incredible the effect that Ian Holloway has had on the club. Only a couple of weeks ago it was all doom and gloom and we were thankful only 1 team gets relegated this season but since "Ollie" came in he's lifted all the doom and gloom around the club and most of our fans are now far more optimistic. Ollie has made it clear he's here for the long run (although we all know how quickly things can turn sour). If you'd have asked me the result of this game a couple of weeks ago I'd have said a certain away win but I'll be expecting a point at least on Saturday, hopefully all 3.

Safe journey to all the travelling Grecians and if anyone is bring any under-14's with them don't forget to take advantage of the kids go free offer this week.

exeter-loyal

Going to be tough considering they have picked up under Holloway recently but still think we have enough in the locker, I'm expecting the usual and win it 1-0!!

Corey

I too predict a 1-0, Bowman gets another, however I would take a point I think (depending on the performance)

grecian-near-hell

Well-known Exeweb poster
Interesting other fixtures on Saturday see Swindon away at Newport and Crewe at home to Cheltenham. Now is also the time for Mansfield to perhaps try and get a result (any will do apart from a loss) as they are away to the Cornish

fred binneys head

I'll go for an entertaining 0-0 draw.

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
Think we’re due a bad result - not because we’re not good enough to win there but it’s not the nicest place to travel and I reckon it will be Baltic and raining and Holloway will have them fired up.....

1-0 defeat