• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter v Barrow - Discussion

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Our centre backs score few goals. Sweenz goal was a special case when everyone including the Iceman went up for the free kick. It was not part of a system of play.
Sweenz didn't score on Tuesday and the Iceman stayed in his box 😉.

STURTZ

As long as we don't adopt our usual shit team strategy and start booting it long to an overburdened Bowman. Barrow are tough players and out fought our paper bag prisoners up there. We need to use some guile and energy to beat this lot, play our own game and let them try and figure us out, 'cos I can't!. :rolleyes:

STURTZ

It's a game we should win. Play like we did on Saturday, particularly the second half, and we will quite comfortably. Play like we did for the three games previous to that and we'll blow it. I can't see all three teams above us getting what they need to stop us from making the play-offs but I fear the late, late show coming to the party to break our hearts.
Too true, we are often let down by other teams on these occasions. Who remembers Ian Huxham's famous "Aldershot have lost!" announcement? (Come to think of it maybe it wasn't Aldershot!:unsure:)

IndoMike

Hope Matt isn't going to name a starting line-up to make the heart sink.

grecIAN Harris

My theory has always been to play 3-5-2 against the teams that are strong and could dominate the midfield and 4-4-2 against teams that are theoretically not so dangerous or not so likely to dominate midfield. Why have three big central defenders to play against one not especially good striker?
If it's not working then you can change it.
I am not underrating Barrow at all, but theoretically and statistically we are better than them. We just have to prove it
So why the need to have four defenders to mark one not particularly good striker instead of three????

Grecian_Matt

Starting line up:-

Andreson

Sweeney
McArdle
Page

Collins
Taylor

Williams
Fisher
Seymour
Bowman
Sparkes

If we lose, we certainly tried.

Legohead

Banned
I was impressed with Barrow in the game up at Holker Street. Really organised, hard working and although lacking in quality for the most part, often the former attributes are all that is needed to get results in this league if applied properly. Something we don't do anywhere near enough.

They will make it really difficult for us and we will find them a tough nut to crack. They also have Quigley up top who is capable of some excellent finishing.

If we can get an early goal then it could help us settle and hopefully we could put the game to bed eventually by scoring more and i am predicting this.

I'm pleased Barrow stayed up and their fans will get to finally see their team play in the flesh in the FL after all this time.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Too true, we are often let down by other teams on these occasions. Who remembers Ian Huxham's famous "Aldershot have lost!" announcement? (Come to think of it maybe it wasn't Aldershot!:unsure:)
Younger readers may be confused by the idea that there was a time before smart phones when we had to rely on announcements for score update. On the day Sturtz is referring to I was the only one with a radio amongst our group on the big bank so it was my job to point out that unfortunately Hux was mis-informed.

geoffwp

Is it only forum owners who get to call a poster 'person' without earning infraction pointage? Just wondering like.😁

IndoMike

So why the need to have four defenders to mark one not particularly good striker instead of three??y??
You've altered my drift. I was talking about central defenders v a lone striker The full backs are for marking wingers and for attacking, as usual. Don't poke the bear : the bear is feeling grizzly tonight...