• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women

Dannyred

Do you actually know just how much it costs to stage a game at SJP, before even one fans sets foot inside the ground?

I can tell you that it's considerably more than we would receive from the admissions money with the current level of crowds for an ECFC Women's game. I some times go to the games when they are played at Cullompton, and if there are 50 in the crowd that would be being generous, friends and family excepted.
I know the women’s match brought in over 600 fans for the one & only match.

I also know that they could easily build on that if they played at SJP plus gain bigger sponsors if they played there.

The club needs to do the right thing now.

Antony Moxey

Very well known Exeweb poster
That argument doesn’t make sense. A one off (cup?) game doesn’t compare to a run of the mill league game. If you want to use the biggest game the women have played, you could equally say the men’s side took 30k to Wembley so perhaps it should regularly play there given the crowd it’s able to attract for a one off game.

Having said all that I don’t see why the women couldn’t play at the C&F instead of Cullompton.

Matt Russell

I know the women’s match brought in over 600 fans for the one & only match.

I also know that they could easily build on that if they played at SJP plus gain bigger sponsors if they played there.

The club needs to do the right thing now.
Do you know, or consider it relevant to your argument, what proportion of that 600 plus had free admittance because they were Trust members?

Saint James

When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
You will im afraid have to spell out your point. Are you suggesting in terms of broadcasting, men in general, sport, football or ????

Temporarily Exiled

No. I’ve already told you, I have no interest in women’s football.
It's a good thing the girls and women that visit SJP every other weekend aren't as narrow-minded.

You will im afraid have to spell out your point. Are you suggesting in terms of broadcasting, men in general, sport, football or ????
In terms of broadcasting. Watch the BBC Sport bulletin tonight, how much coverage is devoted to women compared to men?

Saint James

It's a good thing the girls and women that visit SJP every other weekend aren't as narrow-minded.

In terms of broadcasting. Watch the BBC Sport bulletin tonight, how much coverage is devoted to women compared to men?[/QUOTE

Are these serious points you are making or are you on the wind up?

Are you seriously suggesting that 99% of people who watch men's football (women as well as men) are "narrow minded" because they make a preference to watch men's football? The stats/facts are there for all to see - all bar a miniscule number of football watchers aren't interested in the women's game. And as for your other point why would broadcasters ignore the vast majority of their audience who want to know for example who won in the Cricket World Cup today to give us news on sports that a minute number of their audience have any interest in?

Dannyred

Do you know, or consider it relevant to your argument, what proportion of that 600 plus had free admittance because they were Trust members?
So why don’t the club go into schools and tell the young girls until you can pay your way you are not welcome to play at SJP as this is what you are saying. How many seasons have the men had difficulty breaking even ?

Temporarily Exiled

Are these serious points you are making or are you on the wind up?

Are you seriously suggesting that 99% of people who watch men's football (women as well as men) are "narrow minded" because they make a preference to watch men's football? The stats/facts are there for all to see - all bar a miniscule number of football watchers aren't interested in the women's game. And as for your other point why would broadcasters ignore the vast majority of their audience who want to know for example who won in the Cricket World Cup today to give us news on sports that a minute number of their audience have any interest in?
I'm not suggesting 99% of people that watch men's football are narrow-minded for having a preference for watching men's football. However, if you state that even if there was an increase in quality in the women's game (as is occurring right now) you wouldn't watch the game - that there is no possible instance in which you could envisage yourself watching women's football - then you are narrow-minded. It's akin to steadfastly refusing to watch any women's events at the Olympics, or telling a family member to change the channel if we ever see a female Brit in a Wimbledon final.

As for point two, coverage begets attention. Chicken and egg. I see media as part of the solution to getting more women interested in sport, and giving girls more positive role-models.

Last edited:

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Danny is very mistaken. He doesn't realize the issue is quality, not gender. The reason only a few hundred watch Dawlish play is that the quality is not so good relative to Div 2, where average attendances will be around 4000. And the average attendances in Div. 2 are much lower than the attendances in the Premier League, due to diference in quality. Now, you can't complain to all the residents of Dawlish about not attending their local team's matches.
Now, I'm sure that the women's WC will attract a lot of viewers, because the quality is better than the quality in Exeter City's women's team and the competion is more colourful and has more status.
I wish the women's team well but if I lived in Exeter I'm not sure I'd go to watch their matches the same as I wouldn't go to a bowling alley or to a pub I didn't like. I certainly wouldn't waste my precious time justifying the choices I make for entertainment : it's my business, not anyone else's.

Last edited:

Dannyred

Danny is very mistaken. He doesn't realize the issue is quality, not gender. The reason only a few hundred watch Dawlish play is that the quality is not so good relative to Div 2, where average attendances will be around 4000. And the average attendances in Div. 2 are much lower than the attendances in the Premier League, due to diference in quality. Now, you can't complain to all the residents of Dawlish about not attending their local team's matches.
Now, I'm sure that the women's WC will attract a lot of viewers, because the quality is better than the quality in Exeter City's women's team and the competion is more colourful and has more status.
I wish the women's team well but if I lived in Exeter I'm not sure I'd go to watch their matches the same as I wouldn't go to a bowling alley or to a pub I didn't like. I certainly wouldn't waste my precious time justifying the choices I make for entertainment : it's my business, not anyone else's.
This was a classic post when you mentioned quality,You call yourself a city fan yet don’t remember many years when it was shocking quality and boring but you still supported Exeter City.

The quality of women’s football today is far better than those days watching city .Some of the goals this season were better than I have seen at SJP this year.

Using quality as a reason with being a city fan is laughable.