• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women Development Squad 2021/22 Season

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I thought it might be useful to avoid confusion by having the Development squad have their own thread!

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
any news on the squad so far? ...even just a week since the previous season finished?

Oh and also a question for Harris - is there an age limit for the development squad and how old is Chloe now? (I suspect she might move up to the main squad before she reaches that age limit)

grecIAN Harris

any news on the squad so far? ...even just a week since the previous season finished?

Oh and also a question for Harris - is there an age limit for the development squad and how old is Chloe now? (I suspect she might move up to the main squad before she reaches that age limit)
No there isn't an age limit. Chloe will be 18 in October and the penny still needs to drop before she's ready for the first team on a regular basis. She has a lot of physical attributes but lacks some of the mental ones still. Having said that, she still has yet to play a full season of football since starting to play at the age of 15.

grecIAN Harris

There will be a new Development Squad coach, Sam has left. I don't know the details yet as Chloe isn't home to tell me.
There will also be a new captain as Antonia has decided to go south for next winter and Torquay Utd Ladies. I suspect at her age (24 iirc) she knows she won't make City's first team but wants to play as high as she can.
Phoebe Durkin has also left as she is moving back up north.

grecIAN Harris

Not really sure what is going on at the moment. The Development side don't even seem to be an after thought at the moment.
This time last season they had a manager/coach, trials and responses to the trialists and on to pre season freindlies by now.
This season, still no idea about a manager/coach. No idea whether any trials have been had. No freindlies and only four of last season's squad attending training.
I know there has been a very intense process to improve the first team this year and that, quite rightly, has to take priority but given the ethos of the club as a whole it seems somewhat of amiss to leave The Development side to dwindle away like this. Even those that do go to training are a bit like spare parts at training. When it comes to any team work during training they are left stranded on the side lines or if used they're like one of Shankleys dustbins, just there to be ran around. I don't think the girls have any delusions of being ready for the first team yet but it wouldn't hurt for them to be involved more and help them bridge the gap in their ability to get to the first team.

grecIAN Harris

The only thing I am aware of is the Devon League has decided to go into an East/West format of 8 teams with a play off between the two divisional winners to decide the outright winners. This, on the face of it, appears detrimental to trying to bridge the void between the firsts and development squads.

grecIAN Harris

The Development Squad now have a manager who has come up from Torquay. I don't know his name but had a brief chat with him after training. He has had the full range of experience at Torquay Utd Women from u/12 through to the first team. Now he needs to get a team together for our Development Side.

andrew p long

looking for new players, according to a post on the Women's team thread...

grecIAN Harris

First pre season game on Sunday in Taunton. First League game of the season at home to Seaton on September 5th.

iscalad

First pre season game on Sunday in Taunton. First League game of the season at home to Seaton on September 5th.
Do you have enough players now?