• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Seriously Indo, what next get the women to play in high heals.

England Women’s match last year was watched by 11.8 Million which was more than the previous England men’s match, Wembley sold out for a women’s friendly match in November.

Attendances not match the cost but it’s ok for the city’s men’s team to play several games in front of crowds less than 500 with cheap ticket prices or in a Half filled SJP on league match days.

More People will attend when the teams play at the home of the club they represent as witnessed many times as the stadiums are easier to get to plus the stadium experience compared to a non league pitch or training ground where most won’t attend.

You talk about poor quality, This coming from someone who has supported city for decades and you haven’t seen dire performances over the years is hard to believe as I have seen some real shockers including this season.

I have witnessed some amazing games of women’s football over the last few years and some poor games at all levels.

We have an opportunity to be a club that stands out in the south west for the future of women’s football and the trust should do more as it would be good all round for the club.
You keep making the same mistake and doing women's football a disservice, because you are painting a false image of what I and perhaps many others think.
I watched the England Women's World Cup matches because of the importance of the game, the atmosphere in the stadium, and the assumption that the quality of the game would be ok. Some of the Men's World Cup matches I didn't watch.
If I was living in Exeter now I might pop along occasionally to watch a local game.
If I went to see Heavitree or Dawlish I'd expect a crowd of a couple of hundred.. The standard of City's women is below that, so why would you expect more fans?
Do you want us to patronize the women's team and feel sorry for them? They have to earn the right by winning over fans.
But, if my daughter or niece played for them, I'd probably often go along and watch because there'd be a connection.
People have said a million times that SJP pitch just can't withstand overuse, but you refuse to accept that or even comment on it. You avoid that point totally Do you honestly expect City men to play at Barton Fields while the women play at SJP?
So, more people watch Dawlish Men than City Women. more watch City Men than Dawlish Men, more watch Peterboro Men than City Men. It's about the status of the match and the quality of the football, which -= entertainment.

LOG

We own our football club should be changed to we Only own our Men’s Football club.
The women's side come under CCT so that would be factually correct.

I think i can guess the question/comment Danny will be coming back with.

DB9

i8cornwall

Just to put a spanner in old Danny boys works it actually hasn’t been announced that reading ladies will play all there games at the Madejski.

Maybe learn to read before you start lecturing people Danny!

Dannyred

You keep making the same mistake and doing women's football a disservice, because you are painting a false image of what I and perhaps many others think.
I watched the England Women's World Cup matches because of the importance of the game, the atmosphere in the stadium, and the assumption that the quality of the game would be ok. Some of the Men's World Cup matches I didn't watch.
If I was living in Exeter now I might pop along occasionally to watch a local game.
If I went to see Heavitree or Dawlish I'd expect a crowd of a couple of hundred.. The standard of City's women is below that, so why would you expect more fans?
Do you want us to patronize the women's team and feel sorry for them? They have to earn the right by winning over fans.
But, if my daughter or niece played for them, I'd probably often go along and watch because there'd be a connection.
People have said a million times that SJP pitch just can't withstand overuse, but you refuse to accept that or even comment on it. You avoid that point totally Do you honestly expect City men to play at Barton Fields while the women play at SJP?
So, more people watch Dawlish Men than City Women. more watch City Men than Dawlish Men, more watch Peterboro Men than City Men. It's about the status of the match and the quality of the football, which -= entertainment.
Firstly a long time ago I said the Women should play at least 6 matches a season at SJP which I think is fair but most definitely they should be playing in Exeter and not at Cullompton.

You said if you had a daughter or niece you would Probably go along, So If you had a son or nephew would you Probably go along to watch them play for Exeter City Men’s team ?

Dannyred

Just to put a spanner in old Danny boys works it actually hasn’t been announced that reading ladies will play all there games at the Madejski.

Maybe learn to read before you start lecturing people Danny!
Unless things change then I have been told by my contact that the plan in place is for all matches to be played there.

Rosencrantz

So females don’t matter when it comes to them playing football in Exeter but we are grateful for their much needed support of the men’s teams as without them our clubs attendances would be poor.

We own our football club should be changed to we Only own our Men’s Football club.
I know this is a pointless argument with you and I don't have to justify myself with any facts like I have actually watched women's football at Speeds Meadow this season albeit Cullompton when my niece has been playing and enjoyed it. I have backed and watched and enjoyed women's football on TV. I think England's greatest player in recent years in relation to other international players including men is Kelly Smith. I am old enough to remember watching women's football on C4 back in the day when Doncaster Belles ruled the roost with Karen Walker scoring for fun and Hope Powell was still playing. My favourite players alongside Kelly Smith, have been Sue Smith and Karen Carney. None of that matters though.

The point is that unlike in say women's tennis grand slams where women should always have got equal prize money as the women's game was as popular as the men's and brought as much (if not more) to the table, women's football isn't yet at that stage. One day in the not too distant future, I hope it will be.

As for why should women support the men's team if the women's team doesn't play at SJP which you seem to be hinting at. Isn't that being a bit patronising projecting your opinion onto women on how they should feel? My mum has supported City since the days of Dermot Curtis, yet she is less interested in watching women's football than I am.

DB9

but most definitely they should be playing in Exeter.
I know i've edited your response Danny but that is where your campaign should start, Trying to get the Exeter womens team playing within the City limits, Not at SJP (Unless you can come up with a decent business plan and costings) but as a start i think you would get more people onside for that. I would support that because ECFC womens team should be in the City if a suitable place could be found.

Andy Holloway

Just out of interest, how many potential pitches, i'm thinking of the likes of Heavitree Utd etc, are there with in the Exeter City area that could host a women's game? And also WHY are the Women's games not played on one of these pitches? Is it because these clubs are not interested in supporting their City's main women's team, or is there a more obvious reason?

IndoMike

Firstly a long time ago I said the Women should play at least 6 matches a season at SJP which I think is fair but most definitely they should be playing in Exeter and not at Cullompton.

You said if you had a daughter or niece you would Probably go along, So If you had a son or nephew would you Probably go along to watch them play for Exeter City Men’s team ?
I didn't say "I'd probably go along", Danny, I said "I'd probably often go along" and the same if my son played for City. I doubt if I'd go to every single match though.
I've already posted that I think that the women should play at the C & F. For me that's Exeter