• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Arsenal v chelsea had 4,000 on sunday. But that was a derby and a top of the table game.
Were they rattling round in the Emirates, or out in the sticks at Boreham Wood ?

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
Were they rattling round in the Emirates, or out in the sticks at Boreham Wood ?
That was at boreham wood

DB9

Arsenal v chelsea had 4,000 on sunday. But that was a derby and a top of the table game.
That is a good attendance but my point still stands about average attendances over a season, The 1000 av was taken from a footballing website. The way the game can improve is the national team, It has got to keep qualifying for tournaments and keep the profile up. The WC is now old news, Their form since hasn't been great and if they don't time after time interest will wain

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
It will take time for better standard football, played by better women players, to emerge from academies and training and conditioning to improve. The talent pool will improve as girls currently starting work through the age ranges.

I have confidence that this is happening, and I watch WPL games on BT sport occasionally, but impatience will not speed up the process.

More people will watch when the standard is better. Simple as. They will NOT attend games simply to help promote an agenda.

Something that seems to escape some.

DB9

It will take time for better standard football, played by better women players, to emerge from academies and training and conditioning to improve. The talent pool will improve as girls currently starting work through the age ranges.

I have confidence that this is happening, and I watch WPL games on BT sport occasionally, but impatience will not speed up the process.

More people will watch when the standard is better. Simple as. They will NOT attend games simply to help promote an agenda.

Something that seems to escape some.
I do feel playing games at the huge mens stadiums as they did was a bit patronising, bit like saying " The men are having a "Day off" go play in their nice big stadium then go back to your "One man and his dog attendance". For the women's game to be a success is to win, Simple as that, No one will pay to watch a team fail time and time again, The men's game has been established for over a hundred years, The women's game needs to walk before it can run

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
That is a good attendance but my point still stands about average attendances over a season, The 1000 av was taken from a footballing website. The way the game can improve is the national team, It has got to keep qualifying for tournaments and keep the profile up. The WC is now old news, Their form since hasn't been great and if they don't time after time interest will wain
That's what I was alluding to. Attendances like that aren't the norm

IndoMike

It's all about the quality of football and the atmosphere at the games. I'd rather watch any game at a park with a hundred people watching than watch a game in a big stadium with 2000 spectators.
The women's game won't attract biggish crowds until the quality is better, but the quality won't get better until they get biggish crowds ( investment, sponsorship, gate money)..
This will end up being another football scenario where the elite will dominate.
JW makes a good point : people will only attend in numbers if the product is good.
They won't attend just to support an agenda.
Having said all that, the important thing is that women want to play. Do we want women's football to end up like the materialistic PL?

Dannyred

The problem women’s team face is the men’s team don’t want the women’s team to play in the clubs main stadium. The one game a season isn’t enough to build the support.

Man Utd supporters without transport struggle to get to the out of town women’s stadium due to the lack of public transport so can’t build on that support and has acknowledged this is a problem.

Reading women’s team play at Wycombe which is a 45min drive from the madejski stadium , over 2hrs on a bus each way.

Emirates to borehamwood is a min 30min drive and 1hr on public transport.

These are for home matches and just a few teams. Then you get very poor non league grounds with lack of facilities it doesn’t make it enjoyable before you watch a game.

I have enjoyed watching women’s matches at the clubs big stadiums, it’s more than just the game it’s the whole experience.

How many clubs own their women’s teams ?

Dannyred

It's all about the quality of football and the atmosphere at the games. I'd rather watch any game at a park with a hundred people watching than watch a game in a big stadium with 2000 spectators.
The women's game won't attract biggish crowds until the quality is better, but the quality won't get better until they get biggish crowds ( investment, sponsorship, gate money)..
This will end up being another football scenario where the elite will dominate.
JW makes a good point : people will only attend in numbers if the product is good.
They won't attend just to support an agenda.
Having said all that, the important thing is that women want to play. Do we want women's football to end up like the materialistic PL?
Mike you really haven’t got a clue about women’s football.

Maybe City men’s team should of played at collumpton yesterday as SJP was too big for them.

IndoMike

Mike you really haven’t got a clue about women’s football.

Maybe City men’s team should of played at collumpton yesterday as SJP was too big for them.
Danny. I don't have much of a clue probably. But I am a realist, and give my opinion based on that.
Tell me why Heavitree men's or Dawlish men's teams don't attract crowds of hundreds? The reason is that football fans have been brought up on a diet of Premier League football and that is their point of reference regarding quality.
City used to get crowds above 10k but now we get 4k. It's about quality and it's about the vast array of entertainment options.
But you mustn't equate realism with disdain. It's great that young girls can and want to play football and it's great that the women's game is growing. But it's not yet reached a point where it has become popular. This must happen in a natural and progressive way, yes supported by City wherever possible, but not in a patronising way.
As I said before, you have to be patient : things take time. You can't force feed it.