• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Women 2019/20 Season

Dannyred

Gotta admire your art here Max. Making something that is basically pure sexist crap sound blokeishly reasonable.

You talk about 100+ years of history but you also admit that 'we struggle as a men's team' - same as it ever was. Why not give the women a chance - an equal chance - after 100+ year's of failure from the men?

As you say, probably controversial to some...
100 years ago women’s football had massive crowds and at one Boxing Day game in 1920 they had a crowd of 53,000 which was the stadiums capacity with thousands outside.

Sadly it’s been held back recently because the men’s teams have made so many excuses about letting women’s teams back in to the stadiums to play matches and build its popularity back.

Dannyred

Actually I don't think it is. Seems to me that it reached a peak when the England team were doing well but then seemed to fall away. From what I've seen and read it also seems that only a couple of top teams make any decent crowds and that's mainly when a local derby is on. As Max rightly says if the first team is making 4.5k on a decent day then a ladies team is not going to be setting any records. It's a fact and I'm not saying it simply because women's football doesn't interest me but because that is how it is.
So why are you bothering being on a thread about women’s football if it doesn’t interest you?

Dannyred

in your opinion it’s never been good, but that’s your opinion on what you think the club should be doing.

The club has come far over the last few years and will continue to improve/evolve, and sadly like in all businesses this won’t happen overnight.

I would say an increase in attendances of an average of over 25% in two years is a good start.

Everyone at the club is there because they care and they want the club to improve/suceed - pot shots about various things aren’t going to help that.

We will be doing as much as we can to help promote and raise the profile of the Womens team and we have things in place to mean we can provide more coverage and advertising when it returns
I think you will do as good a job as you are aloud to do Scott for women’s football.

Like I said I will meet up for a chat when things are back to normal.

Grecian Max

Very well known Exeweb poster
Gotta admire your art here Max. Making something that is basically pure sexist crap sound blokeishly reasonable.

You talk about 100+ years of history but you also admit that 'we struggle as a men's team' - same as it ever was. Why not give the women a chance - an equal chance - after 100+ year's of failure from the men?

As you say, probably controversial to some...
I don't admire you skimming over my post.

• Exeter City Womens FC won't ever pull in good crowds, even at SJP. We'd make a loss and damage a pitch that can't withstand the mens game plus occasional youth.

• Exeter City FC is a small fourth division outfit, with scant resources, it's completely reasonable not to plough money into a very niche spectator sport

• The 100+ years are important here. The mens team has written it's own history, and as such is the organisation of which stands before you today. A women's team will always play second fiddle to the men's team, it would be far better in my opinion (as a man I hope I'm still allowed one in 2020) to have an Exeter Women's team that is separate in identity and build up their own ethos, approach and brand. This is where the womens game is getting it wrong IMO, by latching onto the names of the mens teams for inclusivity - why? It's the same sport but a very different game. Far better to tread their own path.

• I'm not against women having an equal chance of playing or making money from football and nowhere have I said that

• Being a League 2 isn't 100 years of failure for a city of our size, there are plenty that don't have that. Or any other part of ECFC's history. We should be proud it's still going.

Point out the pure sexist crap, please.

Last edited:

Colesman Ballz

100 years ago women’s football had massive crowds and at one Boxing Day game in 1920 they had a crowd of 53,000 which was the stadiums capacity with thousands outside.

Sadly it’s been held back recently because the men’s teams have made so many excuses about letting women’s teams back in to the stadiums to play matches and build its popularity back.
If you are going to give a history lesson, at least get the facts straight, a and give the full story in unedifying glory. The team was Dick Kerrs Ladies from Preston, playing a friendly at Goodison Park. Yes the FA was so frightened that it was a threat to the Men's game that they banned their members from letting Women's teams use their grounds/facilities. They even got Doctors to declare that women's bodies weren't suited to play football. That ban lasted some 50 years until the early 1970s. They still refused point blank to accept any responsibility for the women's game for another twenty odd years until the early 90s,. and only accepted it then because they were forced to by the Government who threatened to withdraw all forms of state aid (funding, grants etc) from the FA unless they took on entire responsibility for game. Even then they dragged their feet and paid little more than lip service until the last ten years.

They are still carping on people though. Take Doncaster Belles for instance, one of the Top Teams in the Country who flew the flag for the Women's game and provided countless players for the National Team, whilst the FA did diddly squat. They were excluded from the WSL Premier League in order to give Man Citeh a place, just because they had the financial backing of an entire oil producing state, and could go out and buy a team.

geoffwp

So why are you bothering being on a thread about women’s football if it doesn’t interest you?
The thread does though, if of course that's ok by you sir.

Colesman Ballz

I think you will do as good a job as you are aloud to do Scott for women’s football.

Like I said I will meet up for a chat when things are back to normal.
Now that was going reasonably well until you just had to bring "Cheryl Cole and her crew" into it. How on earth do you expect anyone from the Club or Trust to take you seriously when you constantly look to "stick the knife in" with the little barbs. It simply portrays yourself as someone with some deep seated grudge, a troll, or both.

Dannyred

Now that was going reasonably well until you just had to bring "Cheryl Cole and her crew" into it. How on earth do you expect anyone from the Club or Trust to take you seriously when you constantly look to "stick the knife in" with the little barbs. It simply portrays yourself as someone with some deep seated grudge, a troll, or both.
When someone expects the club to do things better, you think it is down to a grudge,You’re so predictable.

you can only help those who accept help.

DB9

Dannyred said:

"I think you will do as good a job as you are aloud to do Scott for women’s football."

Sarcastic comments like this are not really helpful to anyone. How do you know what Scott is allowed or not allowed to do regarding the womens team? and does a disservice to the good work Scott does.

Dannyred

Dannyred said:

"I think you will do as good a job as you are aloud to do Scott for women’s football."

Sarcastic comments like this are not really helpful to anyone. How do you know what Scott is allowed or not allowed to do regarding the womens team? and does a disservice to the good work Scott does.
You are clearly speaking without any knowledge or understanding.