• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Rochdale match day thread

Memphis09

It was good to see Matt Jay come back to the party. He looked more like the Matt Jay we have expected to see after last season and the early part of this season. Even Matt Taylor said it was his best game for a while. On the whole, once we had got past the usual 15-20 minutes to get going, it was another comfortable day at The Park. Rochdale looked pretty good on the ball and threatened us before we woke from our slumbers but once we got going Rochdale didn't have the cutting edge to stop us. We should have been playing against ten men for most of the second when their centre half should have been sent off, before he was immeadiately subbed off (that tells it's own story), for a deliberate elbow in Ozzie's face. Anyway, on to Tuesday nights promotion party and us shutting the gap down on The Vegans again.
Totally agree about Matt Jay not his biggest fan but I thought he had his best for a very long yesterday

Memphis09

After a few wobbles against Tranmere I thought Diabate was outstanding today. Of all our promising youngsters it wouldn’t totally surprise me if he’s the one who is sold in the summer.
Think he has another season to develop was very good again yesterday

Memphis09

Afraid I thought Caprice didn't work out at all, too often through in promising positions only to cut back onto his right foot or motor on only to put in a poor cross with his left.
Agree thought he looked poor but I think went for experience
Would bring back sparks for Tuesday

C j phill

Agree thought he looked poor but I think went for experience
Would bring back sparks for Tuesday
If/when we go up, we need a left- footed full back/wing back with pace.

Trapdoor

More importantly we need a 20 goal a season striker and a replacement for Atangana.

Bridgy 81

You maybe referring to someone above with those various attributes and experience.
But I mentioned yesterday over on the non league thread that I like the look of Taunton’s left wing Jay Foulston.
He’s only 21 but has a very decent left foot, takes set pieces and has scored some great goals recently including yesterday’s winner to get Taunton promoted as champions.
I messaged Marcus Flitcroft yesterday evening about him (in an amateur scouting capacity!).
You never know if we do end up signing him I may be given a League One season ticket as my finders fee.

Bridgy 81

More importantly we need a 20 goal a season striker and a replacement for Atangana.
Certainly we’ll need to recruit some strikers as three of the four we have currently are only with us on loan.
I reckon we should replace all three, with three new signings, or maybe two if Sonny is going to be given a chance next season.
Midfield is maybe a trickier one to call as we already have Dieng, Collins, Kite, maybe Rowe and Taylor (hopefully back by mid season).
Perhaps if we do replace Atangana we might get in someone with higher league experience there as apart from Dieng all our midfielders are fairly youthful.

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loved Sweenz performance yesterday. Such a calming influence at the back and hardly puts a foot wrong. And love how his experience "wins" himself fouls in tight areas. I voted for Jevani for player of the season, but should be Sweenz.

arthur

Certainly we’ll need to recruit some strikers as three of the four we have currently are only with us on loan.
I reckon we should replace all three, with three new signings, or maybe two if Sonny is going to be given a chance next season.
Midfield is maybe a trickier one to call as we already have Dieng, Collins, Kite, maybe Rowe and Taylor (hopefully back by mid season).
Perhaps if we do replace Atangana we might get in someone with higher league experience there as apart from Dieng all our midfielders are fairly youthful.
As I have said on numerous occasions we over recruited in midfield last summer and under recruited up front and at left back.

As a result of this bungling incompetence we are now second in the League with a very realistic prospect of being champions. It also means we have probably a midfield that is good enough to prosper in League One. We could do with a classic Number 4 - midfield anchorman to sit in front of the back four - but Harry Kite may well prove more than capable of filling this role if we play that way.

So our focus should be on the two areas of the pitch which do need beefing up, plus cover on the right should Josh Key move on...

arthur

No Matt Taylor post match interview - or have I missed it?