• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Reading - EFL Trophy - match day thread. 7pm kick off

Memphis09

Have to agree. The worry for me is how
poor some of our academy boys looked versus Reading. Some serious work to do to raise our standards. Losing 9-0 is bad enough but Reading seemed a different class to us.
They were
We never closed them down
There right winger in the second half completely tore our left back to shred
Think there won’t be many staying for a second year

Grecianpasty

I think some of the younger lads could definitely benefit with going out on loan.
It may be that a lot of those lads haven't been offered the right loan. I do agree that any of our academy lads need to be playing mens football

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
It doesn't help them when the whole team is full of kids. Richards has done well when he is amongst the full timers, but when he becomes the most experienced player on the pitch at the age of 16 its too much.

I would expect some honest discussions with them before the next academy game, but no need to write them off yet.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Personally disappointed with performance. GC using this comp to look at the young guns and obviously not good enough last night. Think some will need to wake up or they will not be here next season. Borgas on that list for me
Borges you mean? Really? Oh dear! TTF you're not involved with the academy!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Do we need a reserve team? In an ideal world yes, but this would take up valuable resources and for what purpose? To have players kicking their heels except for three or four games a season in a competition no one cares about until the final.
At least we are able to pay all our players.
If the 8 or 9 players who weren't available last night were added to the team who played we'd have a pretty decent reserve team.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think some of the younger lads could definitely benefit with going out on loan.
Unfortunately they are needed as cover for the first team at the moment but once we got a few more players available I'd fully expect most of the first year pros to go out on loan.

DawlishBouy

Some context: league game v trophy game

For Reading - 4 players started both games.
For City - 1.
For Reading - 3 of the subs in the League game started the Trophy game.
For City - 2
For Reading - 1 starter in the League game came on as sub for the Trophy game.
For City - none
For Reading - A total of 8 players appeared in both games.
For City - 3

Reading had 1 teenager in their starting line-up.
City had 5.
Reading brought on 3 teenagers.
City brought on 5

Reading fielded 1 current youth (under 18’s) team player.
City fielded 6.

Devon Red

Well-known Exeweb poster
I don't think we have blown our budget on a small squad. Is it as big as some of our League One rivals, no, but it won't be as our budget is still considered around bottom 6 in this Division.
For us to be successful at this level we will need to have some good loan signings every year. Teams that have gone up recently (notably Plymouth) have had 5 loans each season, and have done again this year.

Tonight we had what I would call 16 first team pros not involved:
Sinisalo
Aimson
Sweeney
Hartridge
Harper
Diabate
Carroll
Mitchell
Trevitt
Cole
Niskanen
Kite
Rankine
Muskwe
Wildschut
Aitchison

Then if you add in the first team Pro's that were involved tonight:
Woods
Fitzwater
Jules
Taylor
Watts

That's 21 first team Pros, not even including Cox and Borges.

In my opinion (and some may disagree), but I think with the budget we have GC has done extremely well to put together this squad which has good numbers now and generally speaking 2 players for each position. I would have liked another #9, but also understand that financially we just weren't able to do it so have invested in Muskwe as our true #9 and then in what I would call hybrid type forwards in Aitchison, Scott, and Wildschut who can play as #10's etc, but can also cover as #9's as well.
Good post that highlights just how many changes we made last night thus making the result (in my opinion) fairly irrelevant other than making us realise that perhaps our youngsters aren't quite as good as we would hope for them to be.

This will have absolutely no impact on our league campaign which is clearly all that really matters this season.

I feel that some supporters mollycoddle our young players, making out that they were unfairly thrown to the wolves last night and the result will damage them. Last night will be a stark wake up call to them as to how much work they still need to do to 'make it'. This will test them to see whether they work hard and improve or sulk and fall off the radar. If a defeat like last night is enough to break a player they're probably in the wrong industry - football is ruthless and perhaps a lesson this early in their careers can be a positive.

Pete Martin (CTID)

Just to cheer up those still teetering on the edge of apoplexy this morning - this from a match played at SJP on
Saturday 22nd September 1923 ;) :)

ScreenHunter 1381.jpg

andrew p long

As per DB's post, the final four goals went in in the final 20 minutes when we had an outfield consisting entirely of 6 U18s and 4 first year professionals.