• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Reading - EFL Trophy - match day thread. 7pm kick off

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Caldwell facing the media and thereby taking responsibility is great credit to the bloke but surely our inability to produce a reserve team capable of being able to compete is not a team issue it is a club issue. GC seems a pretty thorough kind of guy and I would expect him to find out why he was put in this embarrassing position and take some kind of action.
Do we need a reserve team? In an ideal world yes, but this would take up valuable resources and for what purpose? To have players kicking their heels except for three or four games a season in a competition no one cares about until the final.
At least we are able to pay all our players.

Fareham Grecian

Couldn't agree more. Sh1t happens Gilbert....and tonight it did. So what? It seems like there are some who just look for any excuse to have a whinge, have a go. I had my doubts about GC at one time but he has won me over and tonight has done nothing to change that. 0-1, 0-2.......0-8, 0-9, what difference does it make in this competition? Zero. Saturday matters.....this evening really doesn't. Southampton lost 9-0 to Man U in February 2021, and that was their first team. Now that is embarassing.
And 0-9 at home to Leicester in 2019!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
You need to watch this just to confirm that we were really that bad :)

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
I do hope that Oxford watched that and think we'll be a pushover on Saturday!

STURTZ

Our first team has conceded 4 goals in eight league games (2 of those in a severely depleted team v Orient) We beat Reading first team. You'd think that conceding 9 in one reserve match against them should lead to mass walk outs, flaming torches and effigies hanging from lampposts. Personally was happy with team selection (bar Woods), just a run out for the boys to me, result means nothing. More upset with that Orient result TBH.

Oldsmobile-88

What was the attendance for this game?
1,871(281 away)

Red red

Personally disappointed with performance. GC using this comp to look at the young guns and obviously not good enough last night. Think some will need to wake up or they will not be here next season. Borgas on that list for me

burtiew

Cutler - 44
Daniels - 57
Joce - 54
Cunningham - 51
Oakes - 46
So we are still missing numbers 2, 9, 15, 18, 20, 25. 27, 28, 32, 42, 43, 45, 48, 49, 50, 52, 53, 55 and 56. Have any of those been allocated to the other kids?

Topsham Boy

Personally disappointed with performance. GC using this comp to look at the young guns and obviously not good enough last night. Think some will need to wake up or they will not be here next season. Borgas on that list for me
Have to agree. The worry for me is how
poor some of our academy boys looked versus Reading. Some serious work to do to raise our standards. Losing 9-0 is bad enough but Reading seemed a different class to us.

citytillidie72

Well-known Exeweb poster
I think some of the younger lads could definitely benefit with going out on loan.