• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Reading - EFL Trophy - match day thread. 7pm kick off

Gilbert

Absolutely get how embarrassing it is to lose at home by such a margin and find ourselves in the record books for all the wrong reasons but my goodness there are some OTT reactions to a match that was evidently and so very obviously treated by those who are paid to make decisions as low priority. I have been trying to follow my own advice and sleep on it before posting in order to avoid making any ridiculously reactionary responses. However some of the bilge posted on this thread is as embarrassing as the score line. Yes I understand that a forum is for opinions. Yes I get that we are all entitled to our own. And yes I get that we are loyal and passionate fans and that football provokes those passions within us. But who died and made some of the posters oh here the font of all football knowledge? Cool your jets, have a good nights sleep, remember it’s a competition of little importance to us and keep your powder dry. At the end of the season we will be where we deserve to be and the manager and professionals who are paid to make decisions on the make up and profile of the squad will stand or fall by the results of their strategy. In the meantime, this horrendous result aside, they are doing fine. Few if any were genuinely expecting us to be in the promotion mix before the season started, most were suggesting that safety would be an adequate achievement. Perhaps our expectations have been raised just a little too high too soon and perhaps tonight’s result will remind us that we are not a club with the ability to have an extensive squad depth. All the more reason to get behind the boys we do have and be thankful we are where we are at the moment. Still a long way to go and in a few weeks tonight’s score will be little more than an uncomfortable and very unpleasant memory.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Record home defeat tonight.
Record away defeats both 0-9, Notts County 1948, Northampton 1958.
From memory previous record home defeat was 7-1 home to Brentford last days of Brian Godfrey’s spell as manager.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sending those kids out with absolutely no hope of being competitive whereupon they get crushed 9-0 is more than deserving of an apology. Most players never lose a senior game like this in their careers let alone in one of your first appearances at 18. Incredibly harsh ask of them.
Before our County Cousins 40 mileish W start crowing don't forget to remind them of their (so far) record defeat: 0–9 against Stoke City in Second Division, 17 December 1960.
When Birmingham visit on 23 Dec 23 this record will go to 2 figures and "our" Jay will score a hat-trick so I can run around Home Park naked to raise money for his Dad's charity !
UTC

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Absolutely get how embarrassing it is to lose at home by such a margin and find ourselves in the record books for all the wrong reasons but my goodness there are some OTT reactions to a match that was evidently and so very obviously treated by those who are paid to make decisions as low priority. I have been trying to follow my own advice and sleep on it before posting in order to avoid making any ridiculously reactionary responses. However some of the bilge posted on this thread is as embarrassing as the score line. Yes I understand that a forum is for opinions. Yes I get that we are all entitled to our own. And yes I get that we are loyal and passionate fans and that football provokes those passions within us. But who died and made some of the posters oh here the font of all football knowledge? Cool your jets, have a good nights sleep, remember it’s a competition of little importance to us and keep your powder dry. At the end of the season we will be where we deserve to be and the manager and professionals who are paid to make decisions on the make up and profile of the squad will stand or fall by the results of their strategy. In the meantime, this horrendous result aside, they are doing fine. Few if any were genuinely expecting us to be in the promotion mix before the season started, most were suggesting that safety would be an adequate achievement. Perhaps our expectations have been raised just a little too high too soon and perhaps tonight’s result will remind us that we are not a club with the ability to have an extensive squad depth. All the more reason to get behind the boys we do have and be thankful we are where we are at the moment. Still a long way to go and in a few weeks tonight’s score will be little more than an uncomfortable and very unpleasant memory.
But can’t by expunged from the record books for all to see

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
Disagree, completely what I was expecting and very balanced without going over the top. I actually liked the fact that on numerous occasions he said that the club and the staff will support the young players and help them learn from this experience. Didn't go for the young players and criticize them either which I agree with, and merely said they were outmatched and Reading were far better. No issue with this interview at all
Me, neither a typical GC carefully considered and delivered response.

Last edited:

Pete Martin (CTID)

Very well known Exeweb poster
Couldn't agree more. Sh1t happens Gilbert....and tonight it did. So what? It seems like there are some who just look for any excuse to have a whinge, have a go. I had my doubts about GC at one time but he has won me over and tonight has done nothing to change that. 0-1, 0-2.......0-8, 0-9, what difference does it make in this competition? Zero. Saturday matters.....this evening really doesn't. Southampton lost 9-0 to Man U in February 2021, and that was their first team. Now that is embarassing.

Last edited:

Grecian Max

Err... No. GC is trying to build a squad to compete in lge 1. Once he has achieved that, we can build on peripheral players who will only play sporadically.
Not much building going on with loans and 1 year contracts/short term

It is what it is but feels very short termist right now

Grecian Max

Rather puts our 7 0 win at Cheltenham last year in perspective......
Bit different that as it was the League Cup

Grecianman135

Not much building going on with loans and 1 year contracts/short term

It is what it is but feels very short termist right now
I agree 👍

Could honestly see GC gone this time next summer he's had a few windows to try to understand our budget and I wonder depending on January what his opinion will be if that doesn't go so well with recruiting...

Snakebite

Well-known Exeweb poster
I’m pleased to see GC has joined my B-team boycott movement to heart and decided we won’t compete in this competition. Vive la revolution!