• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Reading - EFL Trophy - match day thread. 7pm kick off

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Clear message from the manager.The youngsters will get two more chances in this competition. They either learn and shape up through the season with the opportunities they are given or they face being released.We know how ruthless Caldwell can be with players who aren't right for his future plans.

cannockred

Or is GC saying 'we need to invest in our academy to produce squad players capable of competing at lge 1 level'?

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Unfortunately that interview wasn’t what I was after.
I like Gary (a lot) but this evening he’s got it completely wrong.
As I’ve said previously a 0:9 defeat for any Exeter City team is embarrassing and unacceptable.
No apology, I notice, for our dedicated supporters who spent their hard earned cash either in person or online to support our team.
I’m afraid I’m wavering a bit now as tonight was such a disappointment and a misunderstanding of what we’re about.
Hopefully it was just a blip.
I’m still with Gary, but tonight for various reasons, has knocked me a bit.
Disagree, completely what I was expecting and very balanced without going over the top. I actually liked the fact that on numerous occasions he said that the club and the staff will support the young players and help them learn from this experience. Didn't go for the young players and criticize them either which I agree with, and merely said they were outmatched and Reading were far better. No issue with this interview at all

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Or is GC saying 'we need to invest in our academy to produce squad players capable of competing at lge 1 level'?
As I've said on previous post, unusually for our academy, we look like our academy youngsters are at least 2 seasons away from full integration into 1st team like Archie, Josh, Alex, Joel were.
Only option is for GC to backfill from elsewhere which he appears to have done with exception of a real Nombe replacement.
Our academy lads will have learned a lot tonight about how much work they have to put in to compete with Reading next time they meet
UTC

andrew p long

Very well known Exeweb poster
Remember we beat Cheltenham 7-1 in the League Cup for them to then come to our place and take all 3 points in the league. We’ve already taken 3 points off Reading in what really matters the league. Learning curve for all involved on and off the pitch. We move on together. UTC
7-0

Memphis09

Well we all go on about academy players
After tonight who do you think will play first football
Borges
Richards on first half
Cox has disappointed me always been a big fan of his but he is to light weight at the moment and seems to lack space
Definitely needs a loan
Of the rest no one inspired me
Daniels look the worse of the lot
As for the others Taylor played ok as did the new lad from Southampton
Woods should be sent anywhere away from Exeter one of the worse goalies I have ever seen in over 60 years of watching city

andrew p long

I wish I'd posted pre-game that these fixtures shouldn't be part of first team records. Too often a sub appearance in one of these games goes down as a first team appearance when the player is miles off being anywhere near a first team league 18.

But as I've waited till now to say it, it will seem like sour grapes....

arthur

Rather puts our 7 0 win at Cheltenham last year in perspective......

RapidRoy

Ridiculous comment. He owes no apology to anyone. He does the best for the team based on the cards and the circumstances that he’s dealt.
Sending those kids out with absolutely no hope of being competitive whereupon they get crushed 9-0 is more than deserving of an apology. Most players never lose a senior game like this in their careers let alone in one of your first appearances at 18. Incredibly harsh ask of them.

Bridgy 81

I know you disagree with me completely, but I still have an issue with my club losing 0:9 to anyone at anytime.
Regardless of what our Manager said.