• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Reading - EFL Trophy - match day thread. 7pm kick off

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Is the correct answer. We cannot afford to buy our way out of the league and the majority of the 'senior' pros and injured players did not play. As an aside fitzwater looks a reasonable squad player in the same way that woods isn't.
So you now understand that I'm not crying out for us to spend more, but instead questioning the rationale of blowing our budget on such a small squad with heavy reliance on loanees and short term contracts?

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Zak Jules?
As long as he hasn't played for Oxford previously of course ! :cool:

Mid Devon Grecian

Hes on the bench on Saturday, I've already discussed it with GC
[/QUOTE]

And Perks told me he’s cleaning Woodsy’s boots for the rest of the month

david61

Match report

Record home defeat tonight.
Record away defeats both 0-9, Notts County 1948, Northampton 1958.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Record home defeat tonight.
Record away defeats both 0-9, Notts County 1948, Northampton 1958.
Next 0-9 due in 10 years time if we're lucky not to play Reading U23s again - Oh sh1t we do later in the season !
UTC

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
It doesn’t matter too much, however what is important is that our depth is not there at all. As seen vs Orient, an injury crisis could still send us down as these kids are not at the level required. Much harder to do the academy thing at League 1.

Almost like we need to evolve a bit.
Nearly liked this until I noticed your sneaky last sentence ;)

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
Bring on the Arsenal! :unsure:

Last edited:

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nearly liked this until I noticed your sneaky last sentence ;)
Of course we need to evolve - 9 Nil thumpings aren't good for player confidence or for income generation (attracting fans / selling on our youngsters)
UTC

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
So you now understand that I'm not crying out for us to spend more, but instead questioning the rationale of blowing our budget on such a small squad with heavy reliance on loanees and short term contracts?
I don't think we have blown our budget on a small squad. Is it as big as some of our League One rivals, no, but it won't be as our budget is still considered around bottom 6 in this Division.
For us to be successful at this level we will need to have some good loan signings every year. Teams that have gone up recently (notably Plymouth) have had 5 loans each season, and have done again this year.

Tonight we had what I would call 16 first team pros not involved:
Sinisalo
Aimson
Sweeney
Hartridge
Harper
Diabate
Carroll
Mitchell
Trevitt
Cole
Niskanen
Kite
Rankine
Muskwe
Wildschut
Aitchison

Then if you add in the first team Pro's that were involved tonight:
Woods
Fitzwater
Jules
Taylor
Watts

That's 21 first team Pros, not even including Cox and Borges.

In my opinion (and some may disagree), but I think with the budget we have GC has done extremely well to put together this squad which has good numbers now and generally speaking 2 players for each position. I would have liked another #9, but also understand that financially we just weren't able to do it so have invested in Muskwe as our true #9 and then in what I would call hybrid type forwards in Aitchison, Scott, and Wildschut who can play as #10's etc, but can also cover as #9's as well.

Bridgy 81

A harsh lesson says Gary

Unfortunately that interview wasn’t what I was after.
I like Gary (a lot) but this evening he’s got it completely wrong.
As I’ve said previously a 0:9 defeat for any Exeter City team is embarrassing and unacceptable.
No apology, I notice, for our dedicated supporters who spent their hard earned cash either in person or online to support our team.
I’m afraid I’m wavering a bit now as tonight was such a disappointment and a misunderstanding of what we’re about.
Hopefully it was just a blip.
I’m still with Gary, but tonight for various reasons, has knocked me a bit.