• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Reading - EFL Trophy - match day thread. 7pm kick off

Spoonz Red E

Very well known Exeweb poster
My main disappointment tonight was the realisation that it was so thoroughly one sided all game that it probably wasn't a good learning experience in the moment either (other than it feels terrible to lose 9-0 in front of your own supporters).

There was an obvious mismatch all game - the play hardly left our half.
The learning experience even at 5-0 would have been to regroup and keep the score-line down.

We've put out young teams in this competition before and acquitted ourselves well with good team discipline and shape.
It was rare to see a City team chasing the ball to such an extent that there was no cohesion to speak of.

The learning will come later I'm sure at the training ground with an examination of the game and training routines.

If I was Gary I'd remind the players that there are still 2 games to play with 6 points at stake.
However absurd the notion seems we could still qualify from this group.

As someone mentioned earlier, Port Vale got hammered in their opening league game and are doing OK.
We beat Cheltenham 7-0 away last season and they took all 6 points off us in the league.

The three League points against Reading's first team have already been earned by our first team so that is the challenge for the other squad players and development coaches.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Match report

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
*0-9 in the Trophy that shall not speak its name? So what?
It's perfectly reasonable to care not a jot about this competition, but still take tonight's result to ponder how the shape of the squad will impact the rest of our season.

yticretexe

Not one player who played tonight will start on Saturday, and only a couple will make the bench.

It really doesn't matter. What matters is getting something from Saturdays game.
Zak Jules?

Last edited:

cannockred

I think you miss the point somewhat
Err... No. GC is trying to build a squad to compete in lge 1. Once he has achieved that, we can build on peripheral players who will only play sporadically.

BigBanker

Well-known Exeweb poster
Err... No. GC is trying to build a squad to compete in lge 1. Once he has achieved that, we can build on peripheral players who will only play sporadically.
The debate is whether choosing a shallow but high quality squad (rather than a less high quality but deeper squad) will be a strategy that allows us to compete in League One. We won't know the answer for a few more months, but we're going to find out!

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
If a side beat one of the B teams 9-0 it wouldn’t count. Dead competition I only watched because I wanted to see the lads around the first 11

Zak Jules?
Hes on the bench on Saturday, I've already discussed it with GC

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster
I find Radio Devon's commentary so poor that I fairly often listen to the opposing team's commentary when watching via IFollow. Tonight's commentary was uncharacteristic and complete garbage
Have often done the same thing and totally agree tonight’s effort was complete garbage disrespectful and very unprofessional.

cannockred

The debate is whether choosing a shallow but high quality squad will be a strategy that allows us to compete in League One. We won't know the answer for a few more months, but we're going to find out!
Is the correct answer. We cannot afford to buy our way out of the league and the majority of the 'senior' pros and injured players did not play. As an aside fitzwater looks a reasonable squad player in the same way that woods isn't.

PKecfc

Of course he’s not blameless, he picked the players that couldn’t cope, and presumably these players were ones he sees every day in training so ought to have a bit of an inkling as to how they’d perform in the first team.
He’s blameless.