• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Peterborough United matchday thread

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought precisely the opposite of this....

I thought Peterborough looked the better side and will be pretty surprised if they don’t finish above us (as you would expect).
In part because of this...

They didn’t do a huge amount with the ball though, a combination of a lack of impetus and us defending well.
I thought we functioned much better as a team than they did. They seemed to rely solely on having some individual players that are very good, hoofing it forward and picking us off if we made a mistake.

Last edited:

Red red

Well recovered from yesterday.
I really enjoyed the game even when we were losing I thought Peterborough were a good side and we were matching them. I would rather watch a game like that even be losing then the Cheltenham drose.
But great calls by Caldwell and his team. Change thing about and it worked. Well done as said really enjoyed it

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
You and I are on the same page Tom. If that split had gone over 60/40, then you can start to see a dominance where the consistency of dominance is over a longer period of the game.
After 77 minutes it flashed up on iFollow that we had had 39% of the possession.

suffolklad

The stats back him up. Peterborough had 58% of the possession and 7 shots on target to our 4.
Lies damn lies and statistics. They don't give a true perspective.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
After 77 minutes it flashed up on iFollow that we had had 39% of the possession.
It would because that's how dominant were in the second half up until that point. We saw very little of the play at The Big Bank end until Peterborough went in front. During the first half Peterborough had a reasonable amount of ball at the back but we were controlling them with what they were able to do with it due to our set up. Possession might be nine tenths of law but it counts for very little when you are being controlled into playing a certain way, and not the way you want to play, by the opposition which is what we were doing to them. Clarke-Harris is a very big boy but he doesn't like to be a target man which is how we were forcing Peterborough to play him. They didn't get the ball down the line as often as they liked to expose the pace they have down the line because of how we forced them to play. Even in the second half when they had the ball they had a lot of time with it in their half because we set ourselves a compact stance. When Posh got the opportunity to play they wanted to they were very dangerous but it was nowhere near as often as they would have liked.

iscalad

As I have said a few times on these boards, when does possession ever win matches?

fred binneys head

After 95 minutes it flashed up on iFollow that we had 60% of the goals.

A very enjoyable game against the best opponents I've seen this season.
Whilst Jevani worked hard in the first half it didn't really suit his game playing up top and MJ was clearly not at his best, a lot due, no doubt, in not having much game time this season.
I felt after Sam came on the game was slowly turning in our favour and it was disappointing to again concede a late goal. However, the changes the manager made seemed to give the players the belief that they could get something out of the game and in that final ten minutes or so we just looked stronger and fitter than Peterborough.
If Stubbs or Diabate had been fit, rather than our makeshift defence, I do think we would be in a play off place-but, that's football!

budegrecian

Lies damn lies and statistics. They don't give a true perspective.
Ultimately there’s only one statistic that really matters and we came out top on that one!

Corey

It's clear from this and other comments that this was one of those games that was more entertaining to watch if you were lucky enough to be at the park. On iFollow the first half was ok but the second half came across as pretty dour.
I have to agree SEA, second half not a great watch until the last ten minutes