• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Newport County - Papa John’s Trophy Match Day Thread

tom_ecfc

if Hartridge is off then we need to sign a CB
Matt Taylor said Hartridge has a muscle injury.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
He’s played three games this season, in two of them has played awful passes leading to goals for the other side. Obviously he’ll take a while to get going, but jury is definitely still out for me!
Plainly, it’s far too early to make definitive judgements; at the same time, I don’t think he’ll be in Matt’s thoughts for [starting on] Saturday on the basis of his performance this evening.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Plainly, it’s far too early to make definitive judgements; at the same time, I don’t think he’ll be in Matt’s thoughts for [starting on] Saturday on the basis of his performance this evening.
I regret to say that, on that basis, neither should MJ and one or two others. At least Harper got in the game.

We really missed Pierce tonight.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Plenty of players that have not had many minutes this season and a lot of new combinations and it showed in a disjointed performance. The midfield in particular struggled as a unit although they showed individual flashes of what they can bring capped with a really well worked goal for Kegs.

Very disappointing goals to give away though, the first doesn't need much saying and the second was a warning all night from a long straight ball. Cheick didn't have a good night dealing with these and allowed runners in behind him too easily tonight.

Always difficult games these in terms of not putting too many minutes into some legs traded off against winning the game. Sparkes was clearly our best player tonight but needed the protection.

Hopefully a few reinforcements to come in the next couple of days to help the squad.

east_mid

Well-known Exeweb poster
Movement in the penalty box was lacking in tonight's match.There was one attack down the left in the first half,the ball was smashed across the 6 yard box with 3 of our players flat footed in the penalty box.Just needed one player to take a gamble and make that run towards goal. Sums it up for me why we are not scoring. Excellent passing,but not enough players are finding that yard of space in the box or playing on the same wavelength when it comes to making a run.

andrew p long

Bizarre line up. Why risk so many first teamers for this pointless match? Just play the majority of the u21s. I understand a couple who need minutes like cox, harper, grounds and chauke but why risk the rest of them? Not one full youth team player starting seems stupid if you ask me. cox doesn’t really count as youth team at the moment as he’s our first team back up up front
First the rules limit the selection choices - there must be 4 first team outfield players (there's a complex definition of who counts)

Secondly who are these 'majority of the U21s'? Our only professionals not included in the 18 were playing out on loan yesterday. So (open to correction) the only additional players we could put in the line up are all U18 .

Do give us the Line up that you would have chosen which complies with competition rules!

Taking this season's results as a whole, but then considering that we've lost twice in 8 days to League 2 opposition (albeit by penalties in the Gillingham game), tells me we have a League 1 eleven, but a League 2 subs bench/wider squad.

The next 3 days are important ones for the club.

Cowshed Grecian

He’s played three games this season, in two of them has played awful passes leading to goals for the other side. Obviously he’ll take a while to get going, but jury is definitely still out for me!
If he didn’t have his faults he wouldn’t be on loan to us. He would be a starter for Ipswich. I hate to say it but he reminds me of a young Big Nige..MT obviously likes this type of player, I think it’s there ability slow the game down.

Suzi & The Banned Cheese

Wow we only have 6 players?!

IndoMike

Moaning again 🙄