• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Newport County - Papa John’s Trophy Match Day Thread

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Sparkes was excellent once again!
I remember a few years ago Taggy saying that Sparkes would be the next big thing.
Not totally correct maybe but now he is injury free he seems to be showing his potential. Keep it up, Sparkesy : we need you playing well

IndoMike

Cox sadly is not good enough, seems like another Seymour, runs around and gets nowhere. Maybe just maybe he needs a big CF to play off h'e's never going to win all those long balls thrown up.
Tactically inept tonight.
It's far too soon to make conclusions about Sonny. Hopefully he will grow into his role and steadily improve. Really should give him some time to fully develop his game

DJG.ECFC

First the rules limit the selection choices - there must be 4 first team outfield players (there's a complex definition of who counts)

Secondly who are these 'majority of the U21s'? Our only professionals not included in the 18 were playing out on loan yesterday. So (open to correction) the only additional players we could put in the line up are all U18 .

Do give us the Line up that you would have chosen which complies with competition rules!
the full u18 team plus the 4 first team players who fit the guidelines who needed the extra minutes most. It’s a simple concept. Pointless competition. Honestly Couldn’t care less that we lost this tonight

DJG.ECFC

Cox sadly is not good enough, seems like another Seymour, runs around and gets nowhere. Maybe just maybe he needs a big CF to play off h'e's never going to win all those long balls thrown up.
Tactically inept tonight.
The kids 17. He’d be out on loan in non league right now if we had more than 1 recognised proper striker

Benjisheps14

Milwaukee, Wisconsin (but formerly Bude, Cornwall)
Taking this season's results as a whole, but then considering that we've lost twice in 8 days to League 2 opposition (albeit by penalties in the Gillingham game), tells me we have a League 1 eleven, but a League 2 subs bench/wider squad.

The next 3 days are important ones for the club.
I think this sums up the situation well. Only thing I would add is that if someone had said at the end of last season that come September 2nd you will have as strong a starting 11 that you finished the season with i would have taken that.

I thought that we would have lost at least one if not two of, Key, Collins, Jay, Hartridge, Nombe or Brown, so to hold onto all of these has been really important. I was also worried about how we would replace Dawson, and I think we are all really happy with Jamal and the added presence that he brings to the team. If we can now just get these 2-3 good additions in to strengthen the squad I will be really happy. However; if we don't then I think we will need some luck regarding injuries/form or we could struggle. That is how thin the margins are in my opinion, so hopefully MT and the club get some success in the next 48 hours for all their hard work!!

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Matt post match interview

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Kegs

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
YouTube highlights

tom_ecfc

From the short highlights package it looked like this team hadn’t played much together. Players seemed all over the place positionally, either grouped together or totally isolated.

denzel

Do you think Omar Bogle would want to move up a division???