• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Newport County - Papa John’s Trophy Match Day Thread

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Oh well, at least a few got a run out. Hopefully no injuries?

Simba3011

Borges looks like a smart pickup by the club. Looked good in his brief cameo

Grecian Max

Positives were Kegs looking the part - lots of energy and really wants the ball. Deserved his goal - started and ended the move. I think Harper also looks like a really solid addition, despite his 2 fairly random balls back, one of which ended in a goal; I'm hoping this is down to rustiness although I did see a goal where he'd played it to no one for Ipswich too so slightly concerning.

Matt Jay huffed and puffed and ultimately looked poor against a L2 second side... not convinced he will make the League One cut medium term but I live in hope. Cox isn't quite there for the men's game but is in no way a Seymour who barely could get a foot on the ball. I believe he will make the grade.

Beyond that - if Hartridge is off then we need to sign a CB as Key & Kite didn't look great there defensively, even in a 3. Not sure whether we can actually recall Pond now and wouldn't help our potentially useful relationship with Yeovil. Would love to get Friend in as a replacement, left footed too. Has only played 3 minutes this season so you never know. If we CAN get Pond back then he gets what he wants and might sign a contract so perhaps it'll all fall into place.

Oh and I don't think Diabate has started the season well, he's quality but far too many mistakes leading to goals at the moment.

Grecianpasty

Steady on that’s probably the first time he’s started and played full game time for a while. I thought he did ok apart from the obvious mistake.
He didn't play well, but as you say it's his first full game. I'm sure he will get better with more game time.

Grecian Max

Sparkes was excellent once again!
Yes! He's been class. Looks so dangerous going forward.

Grecian Max

Also, with the likes of Sparkes putting in quality balls, we still need a forward that can get on the end of them. Nombe sometimes does, but not enough. If Stansfield comes off it's not his game either, so want to see 2 forwards in please MT.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
so what, it’s still all first teamers with some key players in there and our squads paper thin. Pointless game should just be the whole u21 squad with a couple first teamers added in who need minutes.
Reasonably sure that’s not allowed.

Cowshed Grecian

Also, with the likes of Sparkes putting in quality balls, we still need a forward that can get on the end of them. Nombe sometimes does, but not enough. If Stansfield comes off it's not his game either, so want to see 2 forwards in please MT.
That’s the worry for me, with this system you need a Bowman type player or obviously Nombe who is bound to get injured. I can’t see where Stansfield or Cox fit in, neither of them can hold the ball up. I thought Zanzala was useless last season but he used to put himself about up top and smash into defenders.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Positives were Kegs looking the part - lots of energy and really wants the ball. Deserved his goal - started and ended the move. I think Harper also looks like a really solid addition, despite his 2 fairly random balls back, one of which ended in a goal; I'm hoping this is down to rustiness although I did see a goal where he'd played it to no one for Ipswich too so slightly concerning.

Matt Jay huffed and puffed and ultimately looked poor against a L2 second side... not convinced he will make the League One cut medium term but I live in hope. Cox isn't quite there for the men's game but is in no way a Seymour who barely could get a foot on the ball. I believe he will make the grade.

Beyond that - if Hartridge is off then we need to sign a CB as Key & Kite didn't look great there defensively, even in a 3. Not sure whether we can actually recall Pond now and wouldn't help our potentially useful relationship with Yeovil. Would love to get Friend in as a replacement, left footed too. Has only played 3 minutes this season so you never know. If we CAN get Pond back then he gets what he wants and might sign a contract so perhaps it'll all fall into place.

Oh and I don't think Diabate has started the season well, he's quality but far too many mistakes leading to goals at the moment.
I thought Kite looked as assured as usual. And Key only got on for the final 10 minutes.

StudentGrecian

I understand everyone wants rekeem to do well, but sadly he didn't today.
He’s played three games this season, in two of them has played awful passes leading to goals for the other side. Obviously he’ll take a while to get going, but jury is definitely still out for me!