• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Newport County Matchday Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Collins should have been the first to have been hooked today...big Nige was doing alright and one of the few that had the physicality to compete with Newport.
Bang on, Nige was offering more than Collins however the teachers pet was never coming off.

Not sure how badly Collins needs to play before he is dropped, he's been poor a lot this season.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
This is it, in a nutshell. You could also perhaps add poor corners and other set pieces and the ability to direct a headed ball - things that, again, really ought to be being sorted out on the training ground. There is no point in winning corners and spot kicks if you generally fail to use the opportunity to your advantage. Yes, it doesn't always come off, but even once in a while would be an improvement.
Have you been down to the training ground regularly to see what actually is being done Pete? It sounds like you have a very good idea of what the routines consist of.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Have you been down to the training ground regularly to see what actually is being done Pete? It sounds like you have a very good idea of what the routines consist of.
Our set pieces are largely p1$$ poor, do you disagree with this Geoffrey ?

geoffwp

I dont disagree that too often they don't come off or they fail to threaten. I just wondered if pete spent time watching the training.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
I dont disagree that too often they don't come off or they fail to threaten. I just wondered if pete spent time watching the training.
It doesn't matter if he's seen us train or not, what matters is what we do on match day and it's been woeful, that reflects badly on the manager and coaching staff.

If our set pieces were excellent you would be heaping praise on Taylor and his coaching team.

You cannot have it both ways.

gui

Collins should have been the first to have been hooked today...big Nige was doing alright and one of the few that had the physicality to compete with Newport.
I agree 100% . As soon as Nigel was substituted we lost all the little composure we had in the middle of the park completely . Collins and Taylor were atrocious and had to be carried the whole game . I think MT has got his favourites and is not very objective in his selections or substitutions which is costing us points .

geoffwp

It doesn't matter if he's seen us train or not, what matters is what we do on match day and it's been woeful, that reflects badly on the manager and coaching staff.

If our set pieces were excellent you would be heaping praise on Taylor and his coaching team.

You cannot have it both ways.
You've read something into this not intended pc. Pete appeared to be giving a list of critical points and saying these should be ironed out on the training pitch. I'm asking if he goes and watches the sessions as they may well be practised. Simples

Red Devon

I agree 100% . As soon as Nigel was substituted we lost all the little composure we had in the middle of the park completely . Collins and Taylor were atrocious and had to be carried the whole game . I think MT has got his favourites and is not very objective in his selections or substitutions which is costing us points .
And once again the more substitution we make the more ragged we get.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
We were all over the shop at the end of the game today and Newport looked like they were going to score on several occasions.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
MT talks a very honest interview and I've found him so much better in that regard than PT...Unfortunately, I get the impression that he is commenting as a bystander rather than the person responsible for the performance...Every time he says "we lacked quality" he surely must realise that it's his job to instill quality and build a winning system...It seems to have flown right over his head...
This is a good observation, a lot of what he says is accurate however it's almost like he is now distancing himself from our shortcomings. If he doesn't think he can improve things he needs to let someone else have a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.