• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Ipswich Town match day thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
If we ever move away from St James Park then there is a long list of requirements we would need from a new stadium I would have thought.

Good road access, particularly from the M5 and a large car park by the stadium.
A station within walking distance.
A hotel or conference centre to be part of the stadium.
Enhanced hospitality suites…with improved food and drink options throughout the stadium.
Enhanced media facilities.
Large club shop.
Screens and improved media for fans pre and post match.
Improved disabled access.
The list is long……..

All this takes space…..and money of course!

An example I’m familiar with is Reading….their move from the out of date ElmPark in the middle of town to a purpose built stadium….around 24000 all seater with hotel etc etc. funded by John Madjeski.
Reading has a population of c160,000….versus Exeter around 130,000. In the Championship Reading currently average 13k attendances at home. With the right facilities, and despite the draw of the Chiefs, I believe we could average 10k in a new stadium in the Championship (which would include more away supporters of course)….if it was ever to happen!!!!!
That looks familiar

MJP_Exeter

Well-known Exeweb poster
Which would be the equivalent of 5 or 6 Ollie Watkin's transfer fees.
Chesterfield's 10,000 seater stadium cost £13m.

Tranmere's plans for a 15,000 with potential to 25,000 stadium

Crucially, the development is proposed to take place in Birkenhead on the site of the former Bidston Dock. The land is owned by Peel Land and Development, who have given the initial green light to the project on the understanding they will act solely as land owners, not developers. The £200 million project will be joint funded by Wirral Council and the Liverpool City Region Combined Authority.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Rather than repeat the discussion posters might want to head over to this thread to discuss what to do with the ground

Red Monster

Sandy park cost £15m for a 15,000 capacity.

I mean if we where to move to the idea of a new stadium it would need to be realistically 15,000 in capacity with ability to increase should the need ever arise. If we tried this today, i suspect we would be looking at £25-35m to do a reasonable job of it, if not more with the recent increases in materials etc.
Sandy Park might have cost £15 million when it was built,but they’ve changed
it a lot with replacing standing area motorway side with new
Seated stand so I expect it’s over 20 mill now.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Sandy Park might have cost £15 million when it was built,but they’ve changed
it a lot with replacing standing area motorway side with new
Seated stand so I expect it’s over 20 mill now.
That £15M figure dates from almost 20 years ago and for then the-capacity of 8,000 (built early 2000s, opened 2006). At least double that for now. Plus as you say they have spent millions more doubling the capacity.

I'd say building a 12,000 capacity stadium now would cost well north of £30M. We are spending £3M on some modest prefabricated buildings (albeit very good ones) for the training ground.

Moreover, there are presumably no longer any viable sites in the Exeter area that City could move to anyway. IIRC all the potential runners identified in the Driver Jonas report have all been built on.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Rather than repeat the discussion posters might want to head over to this thread to discuss what to do with the ground
A reminder 🤣

Memphis09

What do you think will happen if we flout Health and Safety regulations and someone is hurt or worse?

Is it annoying that only 7,200 or so where at the game on Saturday, yes, but is the solution to this going to come tomorrow, no. To increase capacity, even by a small amount will cost a lot of money and probably is not worth the investment of here and now for a slightly increased capacity. Not to dispute that it would be good if we can sustain these attendances over a period of time that it certainly needs to be reviewed and looked into, but lets try and see if we can sustain 6,000 plus attendances.
I am not suggesting floating the H & S
Just want to know why we were not anywhere near capacity

iscalad

Very well known Exeweb poster
I am not suggesting floating the H & S
Just want to know why we were not anywhere near capacity
Wrong thread alert

Average Joe

Sandy park cost £15m for a 15,000 capacity.

I mean if we where to move to the idea of a new stadium it would need to be realistically 15,000 in capacity with ability to increase should the need ever arise. If we tried this today, i suspect we would be looking at £25-35m to do a reasonable job of it, if not more with the recent increases in materials etc.
Hence why we should ground share with Exeter Rugby.

Andy_H

Hence why we should ground share with Exeter Rugby.
What a brilliant idea, then we can help them service their £8m debt! After all " A problem shared is a problem halved".

Status
Not open for further replies.