• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Fleetwood Town match day thread

David Treharne

It's 16c, and the previous 70% grey cloud cover has now turned to 100%. The wind has picked up a bit and it could be the harbinger of showers during the afternoon. The wind is still coming from the S. Although the official sunset is 18.27 it's been getting dimpsy quite early for most of this week..and whilst I've been typing this there are flecks of rain appearing on the window.

My memories of Gordon Sparkes go back to when he was working for Plymouth Sound, and DevonAir used to share overnights with that station. There was always banter at the time of the handover, if the output was coming from Plymouth. You'd probably have to be quite old to remember that though! Memories of St David's Hill, the Packhorse inn, and downstairs at the Bystock Hotel will all come back in minute 61, as well as thoughts of Gordon.

irishbrian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fleetwood's owner Andy Piley recently bought my local League of Ireland club Waterford FC. Naturally most of the fans now take a big interest in Fleetwood Town because of this. A few have pooled together €200 for a 2-0 win for Fleetwood today at 20/1.
With what we have there's a chance the sods will be collecting.
I've stuck my money on a dull, boring scoreless draw.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This afternoon’s match effectively marks the end of the first third of our league season.
Currently we’re 11th in the table with 18 points from 14 games.
We’ve had 5 wins in the league, 2 of which were away from home, and 2 of which we won 4:0.
Our 2 main strikers have scored 13 goals between them (Brown 8, Nombe 5) and Jevani is the second highest scorer in the league.
We have a positive goal difference (+4) and are above all 3 of the other teams promoted with us last season.
Excluding Barnsley away we’ve clearly had a wobble in the past few weeks but the obvious factors for that are losing 4 of our ‘boot room’ in very quick succession, including our Manager, and the almost complete decimation of our central defensive unit necessitating a combination of people having to play out of their natural positions and youngsters being introduced who, through no fault of theirs, are not yet ready.
And all this whilst attempting to compete at the highest level for us in the last 10 years and against teams with much larger squads and much bigger budgets.
It seems like we have a new Manager lined up now and it would appear that it’s not Kevin.
But I think he’s done well in extremely difficult circumstances and am appreciative of that.
Whoever the new Manager is I hope he can build on the foundations he’s been presented with on and off the field, which I think are as strong as they’ve been in all the time I’ve been following City.
I know I‘ve focussed on the positives in this summary and I know there’s likely to be further choppy waters ahead (probably starting in January) but if in July you’d offered me our current position, especially now having had the unexpected and unhelpful things that have happened to us since, I’d have taken it without hesitation.
No match in October is a must-win. However, 3 points today would be very handy given the fixtures we have coming up. Assuming 50 points is a sensible target for staying up then we should be aiming for 25 points at the half-way point of the season. 7 points from 9 games sounds like it should be easily achievable until you take into account that almost all of those 9 games are against teams in the top half of the table.

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
City come out all guns blazing and the defence actually holds out, City win in style, decision on new manager postponed, change of plan as our Kev gets the nod, exeweb goes ballistic, max and his mates start producing protest banners, City go on an unbeaten run that takes them to play off places so they change their minds but when they go to burn the banners they find they've been nicked so have to disband. It's all there written in the tea leaves at the bottom of my cuppa. 😂😎

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
City come out all guns blazing and the defence actually holds out, City win in style, decision on new manager postponed, change of plan as our Kev gets the nod, exeweb goes ballistic, max and his mates start producing protest banners, City go on an unbeaten run that takes them to play off places so they change their minds but when they go to burn the banners they find they've been nicked so have to disband. It's all there written in the tea leaves at the bottom of my cuppa. 😂😎
Great post Geoff in these "difficult" times !
UTC whoever you prefer as manager - if Geoff is right what about meeting on the FECRACE for last game of season !

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Diabate is back! Key also back - I think the rest of the team is unchanged.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Diabate is back! Key also back - I think the rest of the team is unchanged.
Harry Lee on bench !

red1

Hope that midfield doesnt get over run.

HarryECFC

Harper dropped thank lord

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Hope that midfield doesnt get over run.
At least for the first time in a few weeks we have options on the bench to change the formation if necessary.