• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Fleetwood Town match day thread

antman

Well-known Exeweb poster
The shape of the team means Stansfield or Nombe are always more likely to be benched than Brown. Against the better teams we won't be able to play two out and out strikers without sacrificing midfield space. Brown plays deeper and gives us the edge when we need a pass from midfield to cut the defence open on the counter, as he has done often this season.

Cowshed Grecian

Hahahaha…drop Jevani Brown who happens to have the most goals and assists In League 1. The guy might have quiet games from time to time..actually quite often he out of the game but that flash of genius is what changes and wins games.

Reactions: Ash

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
At the risk of sounding silly, everyone is right here. But the problem is that you can only have 10 outfield players at any one time. You cannot play a back 3, 2 wing backs, 3 midfeld players and 3 up front, the referee will notice.

Hard chocies are therefore needed.

We have recently opted to have only 2 central midfield players so we can play all 3 of Standfield, Brown and Nombe. This has often worked, but against teams that play 4-3-3 the two in central midfield then risk being outnumbered.

I assume playing a back 3 and WBs is given: we don't have conventional full backs so cannot easily change to 2 central defenders, except as a tactic late on if chasing the game..

So while Brown is clearly our most creative player, if we need to stiffen midfield to match up, sometimes one of Brown, Stansfield or Nombe will have to be left out. That's what the manager (whoever it is) is paid to decide.

STURTZ

Very well known Exeweb poster
In my opinion the front three of Nombe, Stanno and Brown tucked in behind is one of the best forward lines in this league. The only vacancy would be replacing Stanno when he tires in the second half.

fred binneys head

In my opinion the front three of Nombe, Stanno and Brown tucked in behind is one of the best forward lines in this league. The only vacancy would be replacing Stanno when he tires in the second half.
It is, but only when we’re able to get the ball up to them. It won’t suit every game.

At the risk of sounding silly, everyone is right here. But the problem is that you can only have 10 outfield players at any one time. You cannot play a back 3, 2 wing backs, 3 midfeld players and 3 up front, the referee will notice.

Hard chocies are therefore needed.

We have recently opted to have only 2 central midfield players so we can play all 3 of Standfield, Brown and Nombe. This has often worked, but against teams that play 4-3-3 the two in central midfield then risk being outnumbered.

I assume playing a back 3 and WBs is given: we don't have conventional full backs so cannot easily change to 2 central defenders, except as a tactic late on if chasing the game..

So while Brown is clearly our most creative player, if we need to stiffen midfield to match up, sometimes one of Brown, Stansfield or Nombe will have to be left out. That's what the manager (whoever it is) is paid to decide.
I know its fun to speculate on here about our best formation, but I wonder what GC's take is going to be? Are we going to do a Tistale and stick one up front and try and catch teams on the break or a false 9 and pack the midfield to stifle teams?

iscalad

I know its fun to speculate on here about our best formation, but I wonder what GC's take is going to be? Are we going to do a Tistale and stick one up front and try and catch teams on the break or a false 9 and pack the midfield to stifle teams?
Bleeding hell I hope not. We are at our best when we press and are on the front foot attacking the opposition.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
The 360 version of Saturday

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Archie Collins recognised in the disreputable EFL League Team of the week :)

denzel

Archie Collins recognised in the disreputable EFL League Team of the week :)

What is it with Wycombe? They seem to get three players every week