• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City Vs Colchester United Matchday Thread

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nabbed it off Twitter, pal, so couldn't tell you! I too, would like to know.
Yeah, realised that. Like you, I've seen them on Twitter and find them interesting. Moreover, I'm not doubting their accuracy, I'm just intrigued how they're arrived at.
I believe the players have trackers fitted in their shirts which logs their movement.

https://wyscout.com/ and https://www.optasports.com/services/data-feeds/ provide near real-time event tracking, although these are paid for services. I presume these guys on twitter pay an annual sub for access to the data...
That would make sense, although even then I don't see how it would log successful / unsuccessful passes.

Trapdoor

That would make sense, although even then I don't see how it would log successful / unsuccessful passes.
I think it must be done based on rate of change of ball movement. Relatively easy to track the ball location using a single video camera. So you could write it something like:

if 'ball' distance <0.5m from 'player'
flag 'possession'

if 'ball' 'acceleration' > 10m/s^2 and 'distance' >0.5m from 'player'
flag 'pass'

the only data inputs you would need for that would be ball and player locations and time.

StroudGrecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Mmm.. the margin was only 5 goals and I can remember off the top of my head two bigger league wins than that - both of which I saw and I'm not *that* old.

The 7-1 v Barrow 1972 mentioned earlier in this thread. And the 6-0 demolition of Swansea in 1969.
Plus 5-0 against Rochdale in 89-90, including a Jim McNichol hattrick.

fred binneys head

Didn’t we beat Wrexham 5-0 at one point in the 90s, with Ronnie Jepson scoring a few (4?)?

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I believe the players have trackers fitted in their shirts which logs their movement.

https://wyscout.com/ and https://www.optasports.com/services/data-feeds/ provide near real-time event tracking, although these are paid for services. I presume these guys on twitter pay an annual sub for access to the data...
If you are interested in data I suggest subscribing to Paul Riley on Patreon. This is from his latest post.

Next it's Joel Randall who leads the xA table in open play so far. Randall is currently king of the other high value type of chance created: the pull back or square ball in the box:

ryancooper327

Have I missed a chat about the 360 video? Bowman is fuming at half term and boots something in the tunnel whilst being held by Sparkes (I think). 3:20 in the 360 video.

I’m presuming it was because he could have been played in a few times for tap ins and wasn’t.

Rosencrantz

Have I missed a chat about the 360 video? Bowman is fuming at half term and boots something in the tunnel whilst being held by Sparkes (I think). 3:20 in the 360 video.

I’m presuming it was because he could have been played in a few times for tap ins and wasn’t.
I think it was more frustration at missing that chance MJ laid on for him although it could have then been the shot MJ whistled past the post where he could have squared it.

Red Devon

I mentioned it yesterday, almost certainly the chance he should have put away just before halftime at the point he was desperate for goal and more importantly the team needed a second.

Oldsmobile-88

Didn’t we beat Wrexham 5-0 at one point in the 90s, with Ronnie Jepson scoring a few (4?)?
Correct 1993/94...He missed a great chance to score a 5th.

The Proper Chap

Well-known Exeweb poster
Bowman is fuming at half term
The holiday periods can be tough.

What did his kids do ?

Reactions: WXF