• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Barrow Matchday Thread

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was sat right behind it, I think it was the fact it should have been their throw in the first place as it came off one of our players. Not sure why it took them so long to complain about it.
And even then, it was only the keeper who initially went crazy, running after the referee. It seemed well after the fact that the rest of their players made a major incident about it. I'm not sure how good a view the keeper would have had from his position?

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Nice summary from Brent Pilnick as usual. UTC

andrew p long

Agreed; but at least we are now doing the same as everyone else and not being done over, we are definitely more "streetwise" than last season. Alex Hartridge often steals 10 yards.

I've never understood why refs / assistants can't use the dissolving spray to show the point where the ball went out when it's not necessary to allow a quick throw. But there again, they rarely enforce loads of the Laws (eg booking players for not retreating or throwing the ball away when penalised, holding in the penalty area, feigning head injuries, etc etc). But I suppose some teams would finish games with 8 players...
The one sad thing for me about last might was the all round time wasting and rule breaking. Barrow were OK first half I thought, especially considering they'd taken an early lead. But second half they plainly had instructions to waste as much time as possible and the full panoply of time wasting measures was deployed. And then after we scored it was City's time to return the compliment.
It seems to have become regarded as the professional thing to do under the mantra of 'game management'.

dontpassback

Westley did it with stevenage,and ainsworths wycombe are masters of it,call it game management or whatever,but it’s very annoying when a professional footballer takes an age to take a throw in

Red & White

Westley did it with stevenage,and ainsworths wycombe are masters of it,call it game management or whatever,but it’s very annoying when a professional footballer takes an age to take a throw in
But even sweeter when your team gets a result playing them at their own game!

PeteUSA

One thing that seems to be the time-wasting norm these days is when a keeper catches a ball at any height with two hands, he immediately drops to the ground clutching the ball to his chest, wasting about 10 seconds in the process! I dont know how that got started but all the lower league keepers do it, Dawson isnt exempt, but he's of course different right now. :censored:

red1

One thing that seems to be the time-wasting norm these days is when a keeper catches a ball at any height with two hands, he immediately drops to the ground clutching the ball to his chest, wasting about 10 seconds in the process! I dont know how that got started but all the lower league keepers do it, Dawson isnt exempt, but he's of course different right now. :censored:
Pickford inspired!!

Rosencrantz

Pickford inspired!!
It's been going on from well before Pickford started out.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Some great photos of yesterday night here:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Thanks for that. You're the first to make the comparison (I believe) but last night I kept thinking this is Huddersfield revisited. Going behind early to a silly goal (a mistake by KMT iirc), equalising before half time (KMT again), an equaliser 10 minutes from the end and then shredded nerves and chewed fingernails until the final whistle.

I don't remember the Huddersfield last ten minutes being as agonising as last night. Maybe Barrow threatened more? There was certainly more at stake if the opposition had equalised in 2010
Kirky brought up the Huddersfield game when he was interviewing Matt Taylor live on Radio Devon after the game; not sure I'd have wanted to remind the manager of a game he scored an own goal in.