• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Barrow Matchday Thread

Bridgy 81

Think Jevani got booked for flapping his gums, ref was looking to book someone for timewasting and I think Jevani protested a bit too strongly that Barrow had been taking years over each throw-in up til then
Maybe, but I thought Jevani was booked for time wasting though as his card was in the 87th minute precisely when we were time wasting.
Anyway, after that I noticed him pull himself away from a potentially ‘flammable’ incident and Sweeney doing something similar earlier after his card.
That showed good discipline I thought in what was an intense and high pressure situation.

Grecian2K

Very well known Exeweb poster
Just like to say a special Thank you to you Mike and the rest of the people behind the scenes ensuring that as many people got their tickets as was possible.

Spoonz another City Legend !!!
Total agree. Another of those "unsung City heroes". Over the years, through good times and bad, in my experience has always dealt with the "punters" with not just help but also friendly smiles. (Even those "Sarfenders" who turn up once in a red and white moon for those big ticket games)

And unfailingly on here (in a personal capacity) even out of hours to try and keep us updated on current situations when demands demand.

The likes of Mike (and Chas, and the "tea ladies" at the C&F!!) are the smooth lubricants that have kept our club running smoothly, even through the more turbulent times.

ryancooper327

Still can’t believe it. Want to repeat (with the knowledge of knowing we’ll win)

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Total agree. Another of those "unsung City heroes". Over the years, through good times and bad, in my experience has always dealt with the "punters" with not just help but also friendly smiles. (Even those "Sarfenders" who turn up once in a red and white moon for those big ticket games)

And unfailingly on here (in a personal capacity) even out of hours to try and keep us updated on current situations when demands demand.

The likes of Mike (and Chas, and the "tea ladies" at the C&F!!) are the smooth lubricants that have kept our club running smoothly, even through the more turbulent times.
I can only echo the comments about Mike.

Rang the ticket office a couple of weeks circa 4.15pm to enquire if it was still open. As it happened it wasn't but, nevertheless, Mike was there and, Mike being Mike, didn't think twice about answering the phone. He told me that officially the ticket office had closed at 4pm but that he'd be around 'for a while yet' and if I wanted to come in he'd have my tickets ready for collection.

In my experience, this is typical of the man – always going over and beyond.

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster

Rang the ticket office a couple of weeks circa 4.15pm to enquire if it was still open. As it happened it wasn't but, nevertheless, Mike was there and, Mike being Mike, didn't think twice about answering the phone. He told me that officially the ticket office had closed at 4pm but that he'd be around 'for a while yet' and if I wanted to come in he'd have my tickets ready for collection.

Another unsung Grecian who deserves recognition before we loose him

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Based on the last phrase I think I've seen nothing but foul throws for several seasons.
Agreed; but at least we are now doing the same as everyone else and not being done over, we are definitely more "streetwise" than last season. Alex Hartridge often steals 10 yards.

I've never understood why refs / assistants can't use the dissolving spray to show the point where the ball went out when it's not necessary to allow a quick throw. But there again, they rarely enforce loads of the Laws (eg booking players for not retreating or throwing the ball away when penalised, holding in the penalty area, feigning head injuries, etc etc). But I suppose some teams would finish games with 8 players...

Red & White

Not the best of games to watch, it appeared the players were nervous but we still got the result.

It was amazing to see the little bank and big bank in the last 10 minutes or so being so vocal. Can't wait to see what happens on Saturday as there is no pressure on the team now that promotion has been secured.

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agreed; but at least we are now doing the same as everyone else and not being done over, we are definitely more "streetwise" than last season. Alex Hartridge often steals 10 yards.

I've never understood why refs / assistants can't use the dissolving spray to show the point where the ball went out when it's not necessary to allow a quick throw. But there again, they rarely enforce loads of the Laws (eg booking players for not retreating or throwing the ball away when penalised, holding in the penalty area, feigning head injuries, etc etc). But I suppose some teams would finish games with 8 players...
But if the refs did enforce those rules and teams ended up with 8 players then the teams would soon cease the behaviour, and the game would benefit immeasurably ! It's the old chicken and egg scenario, if you don't take action nothing will ever change ! If you don't enforce the rule book, then you might as well throw it in the bin, and have a "free for all" !

Coppers

Hey, I'm not complaining, just pointing out what Barrow players might have justifiably been upset about. Nearly every throw-in seems to be illegal in this day and age. Sloppily thrown, one handed, foot off of the ground, feet not on or behind the line, all largely ignored. On another rule note: It appeared every time that the Barrow keeper was still holding/handling the ball when he cleared it from outside the box. Glaring near the end!
I was sat right behind it, I think it was the fact it should have been their throw in the first place as it came off one of our players. Not sure why it took them so long to complain about it.

Sexton Blake

Well-known Exeweb poster

Seconded a really nice guy always prepared and happy to go the extra mile and an excellent ambassador for the Club.