• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City vs Barnsley Official Matchday Thread - Tuesday 28 March 2023

denzel

Very well known Exeweb poster
Like Accrington, you mean?
Accrington actually tried to play football, they just weren't very good at it.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Fair play to Barnsley fans, their fan forum is actually well balanced and sensible!

I also though the ref had a good game, although he made one very poor decision when Sweeney was blatantly fouled which nearly led to a goal.
He was very good for the best part of 90 minutes and then it was as if he had some kinda medical episode and completely lost the plot.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Accrington actually tried to play football, they just weren't very good at it.
Yes.

And (eg) Cheltenham play an ugly but often effective brand of football, led by the talented and effective but unpleasant Alfie May.

A missed penalty, a long delay because an idiot threw a flare on the pitch, and two defensive howlers by us combined to make our recent game there a hard watch for Grecians. But the record books show we lost 3-1, and 73% posession means nothing if you lose.

logman

He was very good for the best part of 90 minutes and then it was as if he had some kinda medical episode and completely lost the plot.
I thought the same. For a split second I thought the Sweeney we sent to Swindon had returned not the Mr Consistent that came back from there.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
I thought the same. For a split second I thought the Sweeney we sent to Swindon had returned not the Mr Consistent that came back from there.
I was referring to the referee rather than Sweenz!

Fair play to Barnsley fans, their fan forum is actually well balanced and sensible!

I also though the ref had a good game, although he made one very poor decision when Sweeney was blatantly fouled which nearly led to a goal.
He also missed a very good penalty shout for Barnsley when Aimson pushed Tedic. The score was 2-1 at that point, so it was a big moment.

Overall, I thought he refereed well, was prepared to let things go and got most close calls correct.

Andy_H

He also missed a very good penalty shout for Barnsley when Aimson pushed Tedic. The score was 2-1 at that point, so it was a big moment.

Overall, I thought he refereed well, was prepared to let things go and got most close calls correct.
But maybe he didn't 'miss it' as reported but, being in the position he was, and not 50/70 mtrs away and at a different angle, believed/thought/felt that it was not a penalty.

At least he made those who were substituted and/or injured thereby requiring the trainer/physio to attend to them leave the pitch to the nearest touchline, something other Refs have failed to enforce this season. Even when we had two players being treated and were defending a corner, he was still, to his credit, insistent the law was upheld.

On a seperate point, does anybody sat in the Selco know what the Ref was speaking to the Manager's about on two separate occaisions?

Rosencrantz

He didn't really give much to either side for any pushing in the back all night so he was at least consistent with that.

geoffwp

Much as I would absolutely love to see Stanno here for another year I'm not sure it's in his best interests. He's shown in the last couple of games that he's ready to play in the Championship next season.
You may well be right in the second paragraph Sea. I guess controversially I wasn't thinking so much of the players interest than the teams. Actually belay that. I was think as much, if not more, of us fans and still being in direct contact with the lad. It's a bit like watching his dad play all over again. A bit magical.

Rosencrantz

Nice to see the full move for the second goal.