• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City versus Oxford United matchday thread

HarryECFC

Terrible Terrible performance. They were absolutely all over us. They closed down every player, and the second ball, and won it every time. They turned us over multiple times. Harper had a shocker, he got turned over the most. Nombe got turned over numerous times. The problem we have is with such a thin squad, every team we come up against with common sense knows were all about attacking the wings and we don't really have a squad depth enough to change our style of play so when a team has worked out our only ever game plan and stopped it. We can't really do anything else.

All those blaming Blackman, if he's made an initial decent save and they've followed up a tap in. That's not the keepers fault. That's the defenders.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
It’s not the result that (should) rule KN out of the job, it was the inept tactics and performance of the players.
I’m not even sure it’s that. Ironically, Kev said in his post-match interview that we needed more leaders on the pitch but there was little sign of any leadership coming from the Exeter bench. Think that would concern me more.

As an aside, Nicky Ajose and Jonathan Grounds were both sitting in our dugout equipped with microphones and earpieces, but for what purpose? There may be a perfectly reasonable explanation, but I worry a bit we could be making things more complicated than they need to be.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yes. Both Nombe and Brown were distinctly disinterested all game long. Sweeney was little more than a spoilt brat who’s just been told no in the toy shop for the first time in his life, Stansfield was little better. Harper was aimlessly booting the ball anywhere but to a red shirt, Blackman could barely stifle a yawn at having to be on the pitch, Hartridge was constantly covering up mistakes he and his fellow defenders were making through either misplaced passes or dawdling on the ball too long.

The only players who looked vaguely like giving the paying public value for money were Archie Collins and the substitutes. The rest were shadows of the players we’ve enjoyed watching previously this season, which to me shows a lack of respect for the manager. If they did have any, they would at least have looked as though they were trying.

Injuries don’t make you look like you couldn’t give a toss.
In fairness to Sweenz, Nicholson said on Radio Devon that he was ill and probably shouldn’t have started the game, so you could probably cut him a bit of slack.

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Can anyone explain to me why Jay Stansfield was called MOTM ?
Yeah, nowt against Jay but that was an inexplicable decision. MJ for me.

Red Devon

Very well known Exeweb poster
We missed Josh Key so much today with the end result being we were totally run ragged down our right side during the first half….overall a very lethargic performance for pretty much the first 70 minutes….Beginning to think I’d swap Harper for big Nige if I could, he really needs to start showing more than he has so far….Hartridge MoM, Jay Stansfield also showed up well on a very disappointing day…Highlight of the day Sonny Cox getting his goal.

Antony Moxey

In fairness to Sweenz, Nicholson said on Radio Devon that he was ill and probably shouldn’t have started the game, so you could probably cut him a bit of slack.
Illness doesn’t make you act like a petulant child from the first whistle to your substitution before you got yourself sent off. I know he’s a fiery character, but today it seemed like he was in a constant state of strop throughout the game.

Squeezebox

I have to own up that this was all my fault.

I will never again start one of these threads.
Just looking at the history, it was in fact City 0-1 Old Corinthians!

dommers

Admitedly I didn't see the Burton game this year but are we at danger of not giving the opposition enough credit. I think they were the best opposition team I've seen at home this year. They closed us down all over the pitch, were much quicker and were more physical. We were a bit all over the shop in defence although ultimately all their goals came from stupid mistakes. The first a stupid free kick to give away and even then I thought the keeper might have done better, the second again not great goalkeeping (and possibly offside although I haven't seen the replay, the third Nombe giving the ball away and again not great keeping for the 3rd or 4th.

Rosencrantz

We looked like a side that had been playing on bare bones for too long. Not enough first contacts won, barely any second balls. A yard or two off the pace all over and you get what we got today. If there is illness to throw in to the mix as well it just reinforces the difficulty at the moment. Ending up having to play Ed James, whilst good experience for him, is not something anyone would have expected to happen this season.

The worrying thing for me was the lack of working for each other at times. The third goal summed this up when Caprice played a lazy ball into Nombe who had little support, a man on and the touchline to contend with. The only thing that he had on was to go back to Caprice but he didn't really offer himself and Sam got caught on the ball. Sam chased back without being able to get back goal side but Caprice just wandered out towards the touchline and let their player drive inside unimpeded on to Ed James who couldn't block the shot and it crept into the corner. It kind of summed up Caprice in not affecting the game in a positive way today.

The only bright spot was at least we kept plugging away and Sonny took his goal well to get off the mark. MJ and Kegs both looked bright off the bench. Hopefully players will start to come back into the squad and freshen things up for whoever the new manager will be.

Oh and just because we were bad doesn't let the ref off for being ***** as well 🙂

Grecian in Guzz

Well-known Exeweb poster
Agree 100% with all you have said you can’t criticise anyone for failing to do a job if they are not given the right tools in the first place.

He certainly is not incompetent and I don’t agree with anyone who suggests that the players don’t want to play for him.

The problem is we are in a tough league and don’t have the luxury of being able to give him time to show what he can do with a fully fit squad.

The board are placed with a real dilemma. Bringing anyone in from the outside will inevitably create uncertainty.

Who will they bring with them what effect might this have on existing and trusted coaches and last but not least regardless of their experience as they will be inheriting a very thin squad what is to say they will be able to achieve anything more than an in-house appointee given they will still not have the tools to do the job.

I don’t envy JT and his colleagues on the interview panel but still feel they ought not to jump too quickly.
According to MJ "I don’t think anyone at the Cliff Hill Training Ground would be complaining should it be decided that Kev is that person" ( https://www.devonlive.com/sport/sport-opinion/courtney-red-over-moon-after-7697786 ) so I don't think the players don’t want to play for him.

As I've said in other posts, whoever does get the job, I hope we don't splash cash on a full backroom replacement as we need to use cash to both rectify the player budget overspend MT mentioned plus have the option to strengthen in Jan 23.

UTC