• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

EXETER CITY v YEOVIL TOWN OFFICIAL BOXING DAY MATCH THREAD

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
The Hound crashes out in the Prediction Thread, and he's delighted! (y)

Last edited:

ramone

Well-known Exeweb poster
If i had to agree with you we would both be wrong
Speaking with Yeovil fans earlier in the pub they seemed certainly happy with at least a point or a low goal difference drubbing as it was City managed to get the extra goal and 3 points not the nicest of games but at the end of the day we walk away with the 3.

Law had an excellent game and for me should have been MOTM.

Rog H K

Huzzar! Wimbledon Equalized

manc grecian

Very well known Exeweb poster
Hard earned 3 points. Ogbene needs to start, don't go Hayden and lovely finish for the Yeovil goal

manc grecian

And dog**** turn out from yeovil

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
How many Yeovil Sold? Will they be 1st to fill the new SJR end?
That will be no then. Very disappointing turnout for a Boxing Day derby!

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Well that was a hard-earned and not totally deserved win but at least we kept trying even when we couldn't quite get our passing game going. Yeovil defended well and, with the help of the referee, had kept Jayden very quiet so they will be disappointed to have lost to such a scrappy goal. Deano will be relieved, though, as he should have shot with his right foot but luckily for him the ball rebounded to Jayden for his 50th City goal. As for Lee Holmes' goal it was possibly even better than Lee Martin's a couple of weeks ago. One of those games where no-one stood out but Chio looked very dangerous when he came on and possibly made the difference. I thought Dara looked a little shaky at times, though, and wouldn't be surprised if he is rested for the next game and Aaron comes back in.

grecIAN Harris

It's another win and another three points but what an afternoon of frustration. It started off brightly enough forcing three early corners and looking like it would be just a matter of time before the flood gates opened but slowly and surely we reverted to type, banging balls at Stockley that wasn't in the last third of the pitch. Holmes digs out a real pearler into the top corner and you expect us to step up the tempo and take the game on a notch...…………… but no. The rest of half meanders along it's way and we go in one up.

Second half Yeovil start on the front foot and take the game to us whilst we continue to bang into Stockley from anywhere where he is going to be ineffective. Yeovil score, what appears to be on the face of it, their own cracker. I'd be interested to see the goal again as my immeadiate thought was that Pym was caught very flat footed. It might be that he didn't see it until late but the way he moved he could have seen it all the way and he still wouldn't have got there. Maybe I'm being harsh. The shot was well placed but it didn't strike me as having any excessive force behind the shot hence my initial reaction.
Finally, we start getting the ball into wide areas where, when we moved the ball quick enough, we started to carry a threat. The problem was we were so bloody ponderous in moving the ball that we often got shut down before we could get a decent cross in. As soon as we did Yeovil looked uncomfortable. Eventually we get the winner. How did it come? Chio Ogbene, on for the increasingly less influential Lee Holmes, got around the back and put the ball across the box causing mayhem. Eventually after a blocked strike by Deano and a mi**** somewhere the ball fell for Stockley and we all had another big blonde moment to get excited about again.
The questions have to be asked of Mr Taylor though. Why is Law still starting wide on the left when it is as plain as The Great Wall of China on a satellite photo that he is our most influential player and should be starting in the middle of the park? Secondly, why, when he have players who are quite capable of passing and moving the ball quickly and effectively enough as well as having the luxuary of having four players who can play wide do we insist on playing hoof it into Stockley and hope he can get something instead of moving the ball quickly and effectively into wide areas and getting crosses in for the blonde bombshell to attack? Two of his three goals last week came from open play where we got down the line and got a cross into the middle for him to attack. Our most threatening play today came when we got into wide areas and got a ball into the box. I accept there sometimes is a need to go long and hit Stockley so let's get a striker on whose natural instincts are to work in and around Stockley instead of ten yards behind him as Lee Martin did for most of the game. As soon Abrahams came on it was very noticeable that his positioning, until Law came off and he was told to drop deeper, was along side Stockley. Finally, is it just me or are they trying to clone Archie Collins into the new Jordan Tillson? He did all the ugly stuff, got a tackle in, battled tenaciously, etc, well which was great but then his next touch was a ten yard pass sideways most every time. It seemed a little against his nature as there were numerous times when there was a more positive ball on followed by a second thought and a pass that screamed 'best not, let's just keep it simple' about it.

Xavi

Archie Collins was excellent. Good first touch, composed and, contrary to suggestions elsewhere, passing and vision a million miles better than you’ll ever get from Jordan T.

Archie will go on to play a lot of matches and, quite possibly, at a higher level. A huge bonus to have another academy player come through.

grecIAN Harris

Archie Collins was excellent. Good first touch, composed and, contrary to suggestions elsewhere, passing and vision a million miles better than you’ll ever get from Jordan T.

Archie will go on to play a lot of matches and, quite possibly, at a higher level. A huge bonus to have another academy player come through.
He has it in his locker, I've no doubt, but it certainly appeared to have a leash and restraint on it today. As I said, there were numerous times something more positive was on but a more safer option was played.