• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread

Colesman Ballz

Very well known Exeweb poster
And, lest we forget, they were last season's L1 beaten play-off finalists.

So not to shabby at all for a bunch of jumped up League 2 minnows.

And, on the back of two impressive home wins (F7 A1), a relatively local derby on Saturday should surely see the attendance burst through the 7,000 barrier? 💰💰💰
Just what is it about Cheltenham and that magic number 7 ? :cool:

ExeterCraic

Scrappy first 25 mins where there was about 50 throw ins but then we gained control. Wycombe came back strong at the start of the second half but we really dug in deep and regained control of the game. The stoppage time was all City and if anyone was going to score again it was us.

Despite Dieng getting on the scoresheet, with some really poor marking from Wycombe, he generally looked off the pace and out of sorts. Sweeney was also quiet, although did absolutely nothing wrong.

Kite and Collins were outstanding against a physical side. As was Diabate, who I'm starting to think will go further than Hartridge in the game. Hartridge also played well. Jevani was his usual class self and we'll miss him massively whilst he's away on international duty.

Blackman is the real deal and made some good saves but the best moment was at the start of the second half when he casually side stepped 2 attackers simultaneously. The only person who didn't have their heart in their mouth was him!

To be able to bring Nombe off the bench at 3-1 is a real luxury. He's a star, too good for L1, keep him fit and there won't be many better strikers in the division.

Great attendance again. Must bring in approximately another 50k per game. Keep these crowds up and perhaps we'll be able to offer Jevani and Nombe new and improved deals. Keeping those 2 beyond this season needs to be made a priority.

A hard but enjoyable game. Has there been a better time to be a City fan in the last 40 years!
Nombe is on a 3 year contract already at least so that's some consolation.

Rosencrantz

The game itself started as a bit of an arm wrestle with our midfield slowly getting on top after about 15 minutes and Harry's goal being a result of that. The second goal was a very good team move with us being patient before picking the right time to strike in behind. MJ and Archie finished it off well. Archies finish had a bit of the Harley's about it.

Second half Wycombe came out and played much more direct and upped the physicality and intensity, cutting out the midfield. I think Matt will be disappointed to concede from a basic long straight ball forward however good Wheel's finish was. It was probably the only time Cheick and Alex got caught out.

We got the third at a great time. I'm guessing leaving Timmy unmarked at the far post from a corner wouldn't have been in the Ainsworth instructions. Although City were predominantly on top from then and could have had more, Jamal still had a couple of smart saves to make. The one from the far post header when he had to dive back from whence he came was Wycombe's last throw. From then on they looked a beaten side which is very unusual as I said to GrecIan who has nicked my line 😉.

There wasn't really a bad performance on the pitch tonight and the man of the match could have gone to a few. Sparkes (the Exmouth Sheedy) continues to impress as does Cheick. I'm not going to argue with the official choice though. Archie, along with Kite and Dieng, got control of that game. The goal was a cherry on the cake for a performance full of control on the ball and a lot covering and getting a timely foot in off the ball. Not always the glamorous side of the game but Archie is quietly effective at it. The new midfield structure is a definite tactical plus by Matt at the start of this season.

Grecian2K

I think tonight's attendance was the highest for an evening game since Liverpool in January 2016, unless anyone knows different?

That was, of course, not a league game and I would hazard a guess that a previous similar attendance to tonight's for an evening game would have been a very long time ago.
Having humiliated myself earlier about Leeds and, having checked the records, I can affirm there were 7,860 turned up on a Tuesday night a mere four months ago!

How soon we forget!

grecIAN Harris

I've just seen Jamal 'Twinkletoes' Blackman's performance inside the area on SSN. 😄

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
Isn't that the law when former players return?
Yes, it is.

denzel

Excellent win!

17 goals in 6 games?
Must admit, I'm struggling to work out what the sixth game was. 4 league, 1 Cup and?

denzel

The Bank was fantastic tonight, what a great evening.
Its so good that we are taking our chances (except Sam's at the end!) and playing good football.
Three goals from midfield- who needs another striker???

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
I've just seen Jamal 'Twinkletoes' Blackman's performance inside the area on SSN. 😄
As much as I enjoyed the skills and enjoy his cavalier attitude, I don't want to see that too often. Sooner or later you get caught out!

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
That was a thoroughly enjoyable game played for the most part at breakneck speed.

we dominated the first half and for once got two goals ahead. Often we dominate the first 45 and only have one goal to show for it.

We struggled second half and the timing of the Nombe for Jay substitution was perfect giving us fresh impetus.

I'm still bemuse that MT still seems surprised by Kitey scoring goals. Doesn't he do it in training? I've always thought he has an eye for goal.