• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Wycombe Wanderers Matchday Thread

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Why do goalies always seem to walk out second behind the captain - is it some kind of unwritten rule?
Do you really want the obvious answer to that? Captain, 1, 2, 3, .............etc Who, historically, wears No.1?

Bridgy 81

Do you really want the obvious answer to that? Captain, 1, 2, 3, .............etc Who, historically, wears No.1?
I appreciate your polite, knowledgeable and helpful insight as always.
I’ll now check in future when teams walk out and anticipate seeing that the right back (2) will be behind the goalie (providing he’s not the captain of course) the left back (3) will be behind the right back (providing he’s not the captain) a midfield player (4) will be behind the left back………..…………..I think I get it now.
Thanks very much for your help.

Memphis09

Agreed I have always liked Jack Sparkes…….he was playing really well particularly a few seasons ago before being injured and took some time to get his form back now for me one of the first names on the team sheet.
Thought he played well going forward
My only worry is that he gets caught out with the diagonal ball needs to work on his positioning
Hopefully will come with experience

grecIAN Harris

I appreciate your polite, knowledgeable and helpful insight as always.
I’ll now check in future when teams walk out and anticipate seeing that the right back (2) will be behind the goalie (providing he’s not the captain of course) the left back (3) will be behind the right back (providing he’s not the captain) a midfield player (4) will be behind the left back………..…………..I think I get it now.
Thanks very much for your help.
I'm not saying it's quite so regimented now as far as the outfield players are concerned, I'm know Paul Ince always superstiously came out last, but it answers your goalkeeper angle.

Memphis09

It has to be said: That game was utter crap!
Well I was there
We played very well
The crowd was brilliant
We won
Hopefully we will have another 21 crap games

Memphis09

Diabate was outstanding tonight - dominated at the back.

As Harris said a half time, Kite, Collins & Dieng rotate so well - two going forward, one holding back - but never in the same order. This was one of the best midfield performances I've seen by a City team.

I agree with all the plaudits for Sparkes going forward - but he left Hartridge exposed against McCleary (who was very impressive) on a number of occasions, & we only really looked vulnerable in the exposed spaces down our left flank.
Exactly my thoughts
That area of defending does need to be tightened up against stronger teams

iscalad

Why do goalies always seem to walk out second behind the captain - is it some kind of unwritten rule?
Historical innit. As Harris sort of says a left over when players were numbered 1-11. Captain first of course, regardless of number.

Super Ronnie Jepson

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm pretty sure in cup finals in years gone by they would do it also...captain first up the steps then keeper.

20220820_101937.jpg