• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Tranmere Rovers Official Matchday Thread

Memphis09

In today’s sea of mediocrity, Colin Daniel stood head and shoulders above every one else as the mediocres.
Don’t think he is even that good

Memphis09

A rare poor interview from MT, nothing to do with a lack of confidence and more to do with weakening the team with the changes to his starting lineup and formation change....deserved MoM for Harry Kite though.
Yes thought Kite played well
Would sooner of seen Taylor in the middle wasted out wide think there is a good player there when fit
Brown is definitely not a striker would of taken Jay off and put him in that role
As for Daniels can’t see why he is ever playing in a city team

Memphis09

The most ridiculous of the Madley **** ups was when he seemed to be indicating the City players that he couldn't go back and book the twelve after his rugby tackle on Key because he let play go on.:unsure::rolleyes:😤
A good ref would of booked the player seen it done many times

Memphis09

I’ve not read the thread because I was there, but my summary is:

- Jevani is a talent but he’s not a striker
- Why did amond not play? We were crying out for a striker
- The referee was a ****
- Colin Daniel didn’t impress me one bit
- We dominated possession but hardly threatened them
- That said, if we had scored in the first half (when we had the pinball in their box) I think we’d have won it
- Sooooo frustrating, I’m worried about December, can’t see us getting anything from Vale, Swindon or Forest Green
Could not put it better myself

crocks

Very well known Exeweb poster
Have to agree with a lot of what was said above.

The one thing that annoyed me more than anything yesterday was the stupidity of taking long goal kicks and drop kicks. What was the point? You might as well have dropped the ball at the Tranmere defenders feet. We have no height in the side and no ability therefore to compete for the ball in the air at the top end of the pitch. Why of why don't we play it out from the back. The one time City did it in the first half, we worked the ball nicely up the field and created a good half chance. Surely to God MT sees that and i simply do not understand why he doesn't do something about it.

Antony Moxey

The thing with Amond was bizarre. He spent a good time warming up and was stripped and ready to come on. We had corner after corner yet Taylor just stood and watched and kept Amond waiting for a good five minutes before bringing him on. I genuinely cannot understand the thinking - if indeed there was any - of not bringing on a striker, when you’ve ensured he is ready to come on, when we’re on the attack.

What did he think he was gaining by waiting to bring him on? Taylor’s substitutions and team selections, as Egg mentioned earlier, are increasingly becoming Tisdale-esque. I mean, what’s wrong with attacking from the off and making the opposition adapt to us rather than this seemingly constant wear them down then strike when they’re tired at the end.

Perhaps he needs to start looking at what’s happening on the pitch for answers rather than up his own ******** - it’s been a while now since a home match has been both entertaining and effective.

Bongo1959

There seems to be a lot of strange formations lately , trying to hard me thinks.

Maxi08

Have to agree with a lot of what was said above.

The one thing that annoyed me more than anything yesterday was the stupidity of taking long goal kicks and drop kicks. What was the point? You might as well have dropped the ball at the Tranmere defenders feet. We have no height in the side and no ability therefore to compete for the ball in the air at the top end of the pitch. Why of why don't we play it out from the back. The one time City did it in the first half, we worked the ball nicely up the field and created a good half chance. Surely to God MT sees that and i simply do not understand why he doesn't do something about it.
The academy teaches all age groups to play out from the back even the 18s, as soon as you watch the first team it goes out the window and we go long , league two football I guess , but what’s the point if your trying to get these players first team ready

manc grecian

The thing with Amond was bizarre. He spent a good time warming up and was stripped and ready to come on. We had corner after corner yet Taylor just stood and watched and kept Amond waiting for a good five minutes before bringing him on. I genuinely cannot understand the thinking - if indeed there was any - of not bringing on a striker, when you’ve ensured he is ready to come on, when we’re on the attack.

What did he think he was gaining by waiting to bring him on? Taylor’s substitutions and team selections, as Egg mentioned earlier, are increasingly becoming Tisdale-esque. I mean, what’s wrong with attacking from the off and making the opposition adapt to us rather than this seemingly constant wear them down then strike when they’re tired at the end.

Perhaps he needs to start looking at what’s happening on the pitch for answers rather than up his own ******** - it’s been a while now since a home match has been both entertaining and effective.
Amond was ready to come on then Hartridge got injured which for some reason made him delay the sub another 10 mins. So he bought Caprice on who immediately put two crosses in but Amond had disappeared for a **** in the changing rooms

ExmouthMart

Bit of a reality check for us in the last week or so and considering we had several players missing yesterday we are not far away. Also the prizes aren’t given out in December. On the other hand I thought Taylors interview after the game was quite rambling. His answer about Sparkes was true but maybe wasn’t the real reason. The physicality, not match ready and running out of legs references have returned and are beginning to sound a bit like excuses.
Yes we have injuries to some of our best players but sometimes you wonder if the way the team is set up doesn’t do us any favours or how substitutes are used to influence or change the game. We have some of the best players we have had for awhile but we can’t seem to dominate games or finish off teams. No team has a divine right to win games but sometimes you wonder the way we start games what an earth is going on! The cagey way we wait for the opposition to show their hand and then we react is predictable of the last two Managers. I know the weather and the state of the pitch play their part but who remembers how we tore into Argyle in the 4-0 game?! Probably Taylor’s best game as Manager. As others have said trying to be too clever and overthinking sometimes maybe?!