• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sutton United Matchday Thread

budegrecian

Once saw an Argyle fan wearing shoes. Amazing what they can do these days
Bet they were slip-ons.

grecIAN Harris

Very well known Exeweb poster
Stop booing the kneel, good amount of our team is black. How do you think they feel when home fans boo that! I understand it’s past it’s sell by date but allow it for now please! Definitely a minority mind, probably no one on here.
Just out of curiosity, do you think it was taking the knee or Sutton not taking the knee? Personally I don't think it's achieving anything any more. It served its purpose by highlighting the issue but what is the point in highlighting an issue if you're not actually going to do anything proactive.

gilbertshoot

Bet they were slip-ons.
Velcro

Antony Moxey

Regarding taking the knee: as white middle aged man who’s lived in the sleepy backwater of the Westcountry for my entire life I have no idea whatsoever what it’s like to be on the end of racist abuse, and probably never will either. For that reason alone I’m of the opinion that I’ve got absolutely nothing on which to judge whether a black man takes a knee or not, so if he wants to, and his team mates want to join him in a show of unity then that’s entirely up to him.

gilbertshoot

Just out of curiosity, do you think it was taking the knee or Sutton not taking the knee? Personally I don't think it's achieving anything any more. It served its purpose by highlighting the issue but what is the point in highlighting an issue if you're not actually going to do anything proactive.
Fair point, Ian but it doesn't seem to be going away. Look at the crap the three England penalty takers got in the summer. I thought this bilge disappeared in the 80s but alas, no. Cyrille Regis got bullets in the post back then, John Barnes back heeling bananas off the pitch. That was almost 40 years ago. Are we evolving??

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
I saw a man wearing an argyle shirt outside my in-laws house,but then again they do live in Plymouth!
That's no excuse.

Rosencrantz

What proactive things can the players do that they don't do already? If the issues are still there, the highlighting needs to continue until those who can make a real difference start being proactive instead of trying deny or minimise the problem. No change in civil rights and equality in general happen automatically, it is a long haul that still has a way to go.

geoffwp

..... Cyrille Regis got bullets in the post back then, John Barnes back heeling bananas off the pitch. That was almost 40 years ago. Are we evolving??
I dont think we really are. What happens in our football grounds may be a very long way off those in other places like some eastern european countries but we cant honestly say the cancer has been eradicated. For that reason, and the very pertinent reason that Ant Moxey has stated, that of being a white Englishman who has no idea of what racist abuse must feel like, I would support any black player in keeping the issue raised and his team mates in supporting him.

Red Devon

Kyle Taylor took his opportunity today and probably deserves to start next Saturday at Hartlepool

grecIAN Harris

I dont think we really are. What happens in our football grounds may be a very long way off those in other places like some eastern european countries but we cant honestly say the cancer has been eradicated. For that reason, and the very pertinent reason that Ant Moxey has stated, that of being a white Englishman who has no idea of what racist abuse must feel like, I would support any black player in keeping the issue raised and his team mates in supporting him.
Unfortunately Geoff the reality is that very little is going to change for at least another generation so long as we start with the kids of today. You can't change the minds of those that have been set for decades and you're fighting a battle you'll never win with those of that mind.