• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Stevenage : EFL Trophy : MDT

Egg

Well-known Exeweb poster
Feel a bit sorry for Matt Jay. He nearly always performs well when called upon but just can't nail down a place in the 1st team.
His attitude is excellent considering how frustrating it must be for him.
Agree wholeheartedly. As an aside, while it's hard to find fault with Matty T right now, I can't help thinking that while Ben Seymour may well be 'one for the future', MJ is very much one for the present and, while I appreciate it might be hard to find a spot for him in the starting XI right now, I know who I'd turn to first if I was looking to the bench for someone to affect a game offensively!

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
Agree wholeheartedly. As an aside, while it's hard to find fault with Matty T right now, I can't help thinking that while Ben Seymour may well be 'one for the future', MJ is very much one for the present and, while I appreciate it might be hard to find a spot for him in the starting XI right now, I know who I'd turn to first if I was looking to the bench for someone to affect a game offensively!
I watched Matt Taylor's post-match interview and he said (in other words) that Jay is the sub for Law, so of course it will be difficult for Jay to replace Law.
Somehow he hasn't been able to convince Tisdale or Matt T. There must be something lacking in his game.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
While I appreciate and understand the support for Matt Jay; it's hard to argue that the attacking sub chosen to come on against Grimsby didn't have a positive affect on the game.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I watched Matt Taylor's post-match interview and he said (in other words) that Jay is the sub for Law, so of course it will be difficult for Jay to replace Law.
Somehow he hasn't been able to convince Tisdale or Matt T. There must be something lacking in his game.
Matt Jay has been unlucky that the first choice player in his position has stayed pretty fit this season. However, it's also worth remembering that he has chosen to stay at City knowing that his chances might be limited; I'm sure he could have moved to a team lower in League 2 or in the Conference if he wanted regular football but, for whatever reason, he seems happy to stay here and fight for his place.

Rosencrantz

This is what you get with a strong squad. One out of Parkes, Martin and Deano will be left out of the back three. Two out of Taylor, Atangana, Collins, Law or MJ get left out. Fisher or Bowman. One space out of Lee Martin, Nicky Ajose or Ben Seymour. Maxted or Ward. A choice of wing backs.

Everyone has to keep at it in the first eleven because the likes of MJ when given a chance in these games are on it. Law has to perform and he will know that MJ is breathing down his neck. That's a credit to the players, and also to the coaching staff to keep that level of motivation.

These games give youngsters chances to put their hands up and impress. They all have this season. Joel Randall has got his reward as the opportunity arise with Jack's injury. But he wouldn't have if he didn't have the motivation to perform to a high standard. His cameo's now have made it hard to send him back out on loan.

Players playing well and being left out because they can't get a starting spot is a sign of the good season we are having.

Last edited:

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
This is what you get with a strong squad. One out of Parkes, Martin and Deano will be left out of the back three. Two out of Taylor, Atangana, Collins, Law or MJ get left out. Fisher or Bowman. One space out of Lee Martin, Nicky Ajose or Ben Seymour. Maxted or Ward. A choice of wing backs.

Everyone has to keep at it in the first eleven because the likes of MJ when given a chance in these games are on it. Law has to perform and he will know that MJ is breathing down his neck. That's a credit to the players, and also to the coaching staff to keep that level of motivation.

These games give youngsters chances to put their hands up and impress. They all have this season. Joel Randall has got his reward as the opportunity arise with Jack's injury. But he wouldn't have if he didn't have the motivation to perform to a high standard. His cameo's now have made it hard to send him back out on loan.

Players playing well and being left out because they can't get a starting spot is a sign of the good season we are having.
Completely agree. The old cliche is that managers say they want two quality players in every position but this is the first time I can remember where there that has actually been achieved. Huge credit goes to Matt Taylor and his team; not just for recruiting so well in the first place but also for seemingly keeping the whole squad so happy, although that is, of course, much easier when the team is winning.

As for Joel Randall his cameo's are not just making it hard to send him back out on loan but also to keep out of the first team. Brennan Dickerson is going to have a real fight on his hands for that left wing-back spot.

IndoMike

Yes, the competition for places is impressive, and it seems that whoever we bring in plays well. We really are in great shape.
Just want to say I like the way Matt is so proactive : he sorts out any problem areas very quickly. Need a short-term keeper urgently ? : no problem. Left wing back? Here you are..

Last edited:

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Just want to say I like the way Matt is so proactive : he sorts out any problem areas very quickly. Need a short-term keeper urgently ? : no problem. Left wing back? Here you are..
Agreed but it's like a swan: apparently cruising serenely, but underneath the surface there's a lot of furious paddling going on.

IndoMike

Agreed but it's like a swan: apparently cruising serenely, but underneath the surface there's a lot of furious paddling going on.
Well, the exercise will be good for him.

exeter-loyal

Hoping for a home draw and big crowd for the semi finals, let's go for it and win the Bleedy thing now, along with promotion come the end of the season.