• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Stevenage : EFL Trophy : MDT

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
Was it Port Vale, Bristol City and Brentford we played the last 3 times?
I'm think I have a memory of Danny Bailey scoring against Vale at the Park but we lost on agg.
I have a clear memory of Sam Saunders scoring late for Brentford to knock us out
From memory Danny Bailey scored from a long way out away at Port Vale and we lost by the odd goal over 2 legs. The Brentford games were also quite tight but we didn't play our best in the second leg at the Park with former Grecian Gary Alexander getting the crucial goal; Woody was also playing for them. And the less said about the away Bristol City tie the better; one of the most humiliating games I've been to.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I was at the Vale game at SJP - disgraceful behaviour from their fans on the Bank that night.
IIRC we drew 1-1 at Brentford then lost 1-2 at home, with Nards getting an unlikely late consolation for us?
I was on the Bank that night and my memory is that there was a bit of pushing and shoving from away fans who;d got in there but that it was nothing too serious.

Oldsmobile-88

Very well known Exeweb poster
I was at the Vale game at SJP - disgraceful behaviour from their fans on the Bank that night.
IIRC we drew 1-1 at Brentford then lost 1-2 at home, with Nards getting an unlikely late consolation for us?
The Brentford 1st leg at Griffin Park cost the Grecians,loads of chances missed when 1-0 up to put the game to bed...2nd leg they went for the jugular early on & went 2 up quickly.

The PV game at SJP was bitterly disappointing the chance of Wembley snatched away late in the 2nd half...There were some right goons from Burslem around town that day.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
So that makes 160k income so far from these matches. A nice little earner.
I know they're not directly related but I'd still rather have had 2 million for Ampadu!

Oldsmobile-88

I was on the Bank that night and my memory is that there was a bit of pushing and shoving from away fans who;d got in there but that it was nothing too serious.
A lot of Aggro in Sidwell Street & in the Printers Pie.

IndoMike

I know they're not directly related but I'd still rather have had 2 million for Ampadu!
Well yeah.

Spoonz Red E

From memory Danny Bailey scored from a long way out away at Port Vale and we lost by the odd goal over 2 legs. The Brentford games were also quite tight but we didn't play our best in the second leg at the Park with former Grecian Gary Alexander getting the crucial goal; Woody was also playing for them. And the less said about the away Bristol City tie the better; one of the most humiliating games I've been to.
The disappointing thing about the Brentford defeat was that we played away in all four previous games - beating Yeovil, Hereford and Argyle and then having the best of the 1st leg at Brentford but not seeing them off. Then the first and only game at home in the competition and we played terribly.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The disappointing thing about the Brentford defeat was that we played away in all four previous games - beating Yeovil, Hereford and Argyle and then having the best of the 1st leg at Brentford but not seeing them off. Then the first and only game at home in the competition and we played terribly.
I'd forgotten that was the same cup run when Nardiello did the business at Home Park. It was also the same season that started with Stanno's passing and having played his two former clubs it felt like it was destiny we would get to Wembley.

Oldsmobile-88

From memory Danny Bailey scored from a long way out away at Port Vale and we lost by the odd goal over 2 legs.
A good turnout of Grecians on the terrace that night 27 years ago..Also the night I discovered the wonderful Post Office Vaults,the smallest pub I have ever been in.
Visited a few time since & will do so again next Tuesday.

IndoMike

Feel a bit sorry for Matt Jay. He nearly always performs well when called upon but just can't nail down a place in the 1st team.
His attitude is excellent considering how frustrating it must be for him.