• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Shrewsbury Matchday Thread 28th Nov 2023. k.o. 7:45 and 9:45.

Alistair20000

Very well known Exeweb poster
Disagree. I'd say 50:50 prize is (unscientifically, I haven't done detailed research) usually about 12-13% of the attendance number. Slightly lower for midweek games.

The numbers are here:

📝 50/50: Wigan Athletic 4/11/23) - News - Exeter City FC

I think this supports +/- 12% but I've got to pop out, anyone want to do the mapping against attendances?

However, it's true that ST holders are counted even if they don't attend and there tends to be more of these for midweeks games.
It did not "look like" there were 5,000 in last night.

As regards equating the 50/50 draw prize compared to the crowd size I have been fortunate to win it twice, both times when Hartlepool were the visitors. The figures were:

October 2013 Prize £500 Crowd 3,615

January 2022 Prize £535 Crowd 5,121

Signposts pointing in slightly different directions I think.

Rosencrantz

Very well known Exeweb poster
I just watched the highlights and we came close a few times. If Diabate was a recognised striker, perhaps he'd have done better with his header, but at least he tried. Cole needs to be on the pitch to take corners and free kicks. Our wingers should be trying to buy free kicks on the edge of the area.

The second highlight really shows what our problem is though. Firstly Aimson sloppily let's the ball roll loose to Sweeney, please pass it among yourselves at the back, but pass with conviction, a high press team would have nicked that and we'd be looking at a 3 on 2 counter attack. Then it took an age for our attacking players to make any sort of movement to pick out, again, a high press team would have shut out and closed down that attack before it even started.

At least we had a few highlights to watch in our favour though, which made a change.
I know Aimson has his critics on here but all he did was touch the ball off to Sweenz with no one anywhere near them. Nothing sloppy about it and at no time was it loose. You can't criticise them for that because of what another team might have done as that would have changed our actions as well.

yticretexe

A word on him actually - a lot of talk about how the dressing room has not been lost but Jack was arguing with everyone - at one point telling Díabate to “just f*<kin move”, giving verbals back to Jules and having a go at Yanic too

Not a happy bunny
Him and Trev had a moment as well when Jack booted it at him trying to pass backwards.

Mr Cow Shed

I bet the data for high intensity sprints from last night looks good on us, but that's it. GC's tactic at the moment seems to be simply dialling up "intensity" or "aggression" more and more, so you can see lots of players running around all over the place but they're doing that without a whole lot of cohesion or an understanding of each others' positions and when to trigger, when to cover etc. Personally I don't see much difference between the way we played against Bolton and the way we played against Shrewsbury, the difference being Bolton are actually capable of stringing two passes together. Aimson's passing was nice, Wildschut was dangerous, we kept the ball fairly comfortably but without ever really being under any pressure, so I worry that any team that plays like Bolton do and actually apply some pressure is going to turn us over easily, and I suppose we have two month's worth of data to back that up.

Also it turns out when you play players in their natural positions they actually perform relatively well, as if they're meant to play there incredibly! Jules at LCB was the best he's been for a long time after playing LWB for god knows how long and Diabate was - through no fault of his own really - a bit of a waste of space up front.

I would love this to turn around and for Caldwell to become a cult hero but to be honest as long as we're playing Diabate up front for "physicality"'s sake, we're going down and it's not stopping there. That is the sign of a manager up against the wall without a f*****g clue what direction to turn in. As a defender in his playing career, it's incredible the guy has forgotten that lower league oil tanker defenders love a physical game where they don't need to run, and just get to rough up the forward in front of them. It's a defender's dream to have a forward playing with their back to goal the entire game. If we don't have the players for a very direct target forward system, WHY OH WHY are we trying to shoehorn someone in there that looks totally lost every time he gets the ball? I think I saw him have about 5 touches against Shrews, which is about 5 more than he had against Bolton. It's early noughties football and it's painful to watch, I feel for the young lad honestly. He's not Steve Flack and he never will be.

On that note, how many times will we play this exact same 5-2-3 formation with the exact same positional responsibilities and the exact same style until someone realises it's not working any more? I think the rest of the league worked out in September that they only need to play 3 central midfielders against us and our entire midfield is taken out of the game, and we're stuck playing around the back three constantly. We don't have good enough players to play that pivot role in a central 2 without any support in the middle, this much is obvious. Carroll is a composed passer, Cole is good technically but neither are very good on the turn or ball carrying, and clearly they aren't very familiar with the position, Carroll is trying to drop deep to give an option to the defenders but then Cole or Trevitt disappears up the pitch and we end up with the trademark Sweeney long ball up the flank.

I don't know how much more of this dross people are going to put up with. The attendance was surprisingly high last night considering the recent performances and the conditions, and if we keep playing like this I struggle to see where our next points come from.

Devon Red

Him and Trev had a moment as well when Jack booted it at him trying to pass backwards.
That moment was so Sunday league.

dontpassback

I noted in his post match interview,that sinisalo gave a very sincere apology to the supporters,after the game at Bolton,embarrassed and humiliated was a couple of the words he used,he looked totally fed up and vowed that they would turn it around,so well done to him👍👍

dontpassback

Aitchison was very poor last night.

Every time there was a sub I was thinking "thank god he is being taken off" and he stayed on for the full 90 minutes!
He seemed unable to do the basics,and should have been subbed way before then

Devon Red

I noted in his post match interview,that sinisalo gave a very sincere apology to the supporters,after the game at Bolton,embarrassed and humiliated was a couple of the words he used,he looked totally fed up and vowed that they would turn it around,so well done to him👍👍
Yeah and whilst that's all good and well, how many times are players going to apologise? Don't apologise, just do better.

edwin_price

Well-known Exeweb poster
Yeah and whilst that's all good and well, how many times are players going to apologise? Don't apologise, just do better.
Sinisalo's not done a lot wrong, to be fair.

scottus86

I know Aimson has his critics on here but all he did was touch the ball off to Sweenz with no one anywhere near them. Nothing sloppy about it and at no time was it loose. You can't criticise them for that because of what another team might have done as that would have changed our actions as well.
I don't think I have personally criticised Aimson on here, and it's not personal against him. I felt that whole passage of play was sloppy and complacent and that it's probably echoed throughout the team, which explains our terrible form.

I think we need to get back to basics and stop this sloppiness. You're welcome to think it's ok and not a problem though, this forum is all about opinions.