• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Sheffield Wednesday FA Cup 3rd round proper matchday thread

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure you're correct regarding the budget, but I suspect tonykellowfan was implying that we have better options than those two players under almost any circumstances and within our current squad. I am no fan of Ajose or Fisher, but I'd probably rather see either of them on the pitch ahead of Seymour most of the time. Same goes for Dean, Hartridge & perhaps Dyer over McCardle.
Personally I've now seen enough of McCardle to know that he should be doing the same role Warren had last season: Not playing. Hopefully he's great to have around the dressing room and is a positive influence and role model in training because on the pitch, he's a liability.
I hear he is a great and coaching and helping the youngsters. I suspect this was a major factor in bringing McArdle to the club. That and his stats which were decent. Dhsme he has been utterly tosh when he has played.

Snoop Fog

Well-known Exeweb poster
Only just listened to Taylors interview. As always hes brutally honest with his opinion and scathing of Bowman, a rarity. I didn't notice Bowman had taken his foot of the gas but clearly MT did. I love Matt Taylors attitude but unfortunately he's never going to get a squad of players at any level who all have the same desire.

IndoMike

Very well known Exeweb poster
The comments on here are hilarious. We have scored 40 goals in 19 games. Our attacking play is not a problem but we concede too many soft goals. If we had a solid defence and a team that averaged over 2 goals a game we would win the league with 100 points. It is hardly a big surprise we don't. This is still a relatively young side learning its way and inconsistency is not a surprise to any reasonable person.

We put in an average performance against a Championship side, 7 of which started the previous game. All the hype and expectation about the weak Wednesday team didn't really play out in reality. If we had found a way of getting an equaliser we would probably have won in extra time. I was surprised we took Bowman off and am not convinced by Seymour yet but the drama on here is hilarious. I expected this to be a season of transition so to be competing for a play off place (maybe more) and having reached the third round of the FA Cup constitutes a pretty good first half to the season in my opinion.
Bittners. Football wouldn't be such a fantastic game if there wasn't controversy, argument, debates, opinions, drama, and drama - Queenism.
Exeweb would be a terribly boring place without it, and so would the world.

IndoMike

Only just listened to Taylors interview. As always hes brutally honest with his opinion and scathing of Bowman, a rarity. I didn't notice Bowman had taken his foot of the gas but clearly MT did. I love Matt Taylors attitude but unfortunately he's never going to get a squad of players at any level who all have the same desire.
My view on the public criticism of Bowman, which I don't agree with, is that because he's an ever-present the players realise that Matt likes him a lot. Therefore
Matt is using a bit of psychology to get all the players thinking "Christ, if he can criticise Bowman in public we'd better watch out."

Martin Lawrence

Well-known Exeweb poster
My view on the public criticism of Bowman, which I don't agree with, is that because he's an ever-present the players realise that Matt likes him a lot. Therefore
Matt is using a bit of psychology to get all the players thinking "Christ, if he can criticise Bowman in public we'd better watch out."
I don't think Matt was using psychology here. He was simply venting his frustration.
Having spoken to a city defender recently, I gather they have been working on the defensive frailties that led to the 1stvgoal on Saturday for months. It is this that is frustrating Matt.

Billy The Fish

Well-known Exeweb poster
I hear he is a great and coaching and helping the youngsters. I suspect this was a major factor in bringing McArdle to the club. That and his stats which were decent. Dhsme he has been utterly tosh when he has played.
If his role is defence coach I'd suggest he isn't particularly successful at that either.

Red Devon

ChardGrecian

on Saturday we were back to the hoof long ball again which proofed not to work early in the season when Bowman struggled. When we play through midfield and use the width he is far more effective. One common factor seems to be when McArdle plays we hoof it far more. Tomorrow night we need to go back to playing football

STURTZ

I still think that Bowman picked up an injury after about 20 mins and this affected his game which previously was very committed. Of course if this is true Matt Taylor should have noticed this and certainly not have publically criticised him for being below par. The whole episode just highlights our reliance on a fit Bowman, our lack of a plan B, and the absense of anybody capable of implementing one if we did have one. These issues can only be resolved by Matt Taylor.

andrew p long

Of the starting eleven in the 4-2-3-1

- the entire defence (keeper and back four) were signed by MT (as was Bowman up front)
- none of the five in the midfield were signed by MT - all at ECFC when he became manager