• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Port Vale 17/9/19 Match Day Thread

End Result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

geoffwp

Very well known Exeweb poster
Quite how that game could be described as crap is completely beyond me. I thought it was a belter. Well done city for just keeping going at pace and always looking to score. We could and maybe should have run out 5 nil winners but hey ho, persistence is a great asset. What a way to end a beautiful blue sky late summer day. I love this team.

IndoMike

Quite how that game could be described as crap is completely beyond me. I thought it was a belter. Well done city for just keeping going at pace and always looking to score. We could and maybe should have run out 5 nil winners but hey ho, persistence is a great asset. What a way to end a beautiful blue sky late summer day. I love this team.
We"re like the old Liverpool : wear 'em down and then go in for the kill. Solid.

PeteUSA

I'm sure all will join me in thanking the referee and his assistants for an excellent well controlled game. Got all his cards right, colour and all.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm sure all will join me in thanking the referee and his assistants for an excellent well controlled game. Got all his cards right, colour and all.
Indeed, it was a stark contrast to Saturday. Not only did he get most of the decisions right his handling of the players left them no doubt he was in charge. To be fair, with the exception of Saturday, I've been impressed by all the referees we have had this season.

John William

Well-known Exeweb poster
Indeed, it was a stark contrast to Saturday. Not only did he get most of the decisions right his handling of the players left them no doubt he was in charge. To be fair, with the exception of Saturday, I've been impressed by all the referees we have had this season.
Agreed. The ref last night was so good I barely noticed him.

As it should be.

And as you say, in complete contrast to last Saturday.

My thoughts exactly

Matt Phillips

Thought it was a good game to watch on iFollow and great to see the progress the team has made throughout the season, and from last year. I doubt that dominated possession, but we did control the game from start to finish. The 5-3-2 set up really suits us. Sweeney and Moxey are clearly at their best in a 3, although I wonder whether we can get them to push on more, ala Sheffield United, when Atangana is back and can drop in to support Parkes - who is clearly our best CB. Richardson was excellent on the right (as he was at Oldham) and in my view was the better of the two wingbacks (not to knock Sparkes, who also had a great game). Fitness is clearly an issue still for him, but I don't think it matters a huge amount as I'm sure Taylor will continue to use Williams as an impact player for Richardson, when the latter starts.

It's brilliant to see Jake Taylor now performing and getting the credit he's due. I've always been a fan, but I think he's stepped up alot in the early stages of this season and for me was MoM. Good passing, broke play up well and dictated alot of the good work we did on the wings, by being the central player who would drop wide to collect the ball from the wing-backs and then distribute forwards.

Ward is such an enigma. After seeing him at Stevenage and Oldham, I honestly didn't rate him and would have taken Maxted any day. Whilst clearly a good shot stopper, his distribution was shocking and he didn't strike me as an all round keeper. Happy to say though that it looks he's starting to prove me very wrong. Last night, he was confident when the ball went back to him, even taking two on his left and dealing with them well. He's clearly been told to simplify his game and just go long, but that will work for him. One thing that does remain slightly worrying though, especially for someone who's at least 6'5", is that he looked absolutely awful under the high ball, with two noticeable flaps in the second half. Given though that between him and Steve Hale, they've been able to sort out his kicking in under 10 games, a notoriously difficult area for a keeper to address, I'm reasonably comfortable that this won't continue to be an issue as the season progresses.

donkey

I make that 9 points gained from goals in the last 10 minutes of games already this season which is an excellent effort. Shows that the work done on fitness levels since Taylor took charge is paying off and the belief this side has to keep going until the end. Good to have a reputation for it as well because it'll get into the heads of the opposition.

Oldsmobile-88

A great full debut from Ben Seymour last night.Adding to the kudos of the academy.

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
A great full debut from Ben Seymour last night.Adding to the kudos of the academy.
It's easy to forget how great it is to see these kids getting their chance!
  • Seymour, Sparkes and Collins were all born within 18 months of each other.
  • They have grown up playing football together for probably at least half their lives.
  • Dan Green has coached them for most of that time.
  • Last night they started a first team game together for the first time.