• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Northampton Town - League 2 Playoff Final at Wembley Stadium

PeteUSA

Very well known Exeweb poster
Yer tiz then boys. I started the City v Colchester thread, which worked out quite well! So here's hoping for the same kind of luck in this, the biggest of games.

I've got a good feeling about this game, what with all those wonderful cardboard Wembley 'attendee's.

UTC

SEA Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
The immaculate thread title is a good start. However, defeat tonight would be disappointing for so many reasons I'm not sure how much I'm actually going to enjoy the match.

The main criticism of City last season was that we were bullied out of matches too often and Matt Taylor did a brilliant job addressing that over the summer with the signings of Atagana and Parkes; it is ironic, therefore, that our season now comes down to whether we can match the physicality of Northampton and, as the cliche goes, earn the right to play our football - do that and we should win comfortably. Hopefully the card-happy reputation of the referee means Northampton won't be allowed to get away with the gamesmanship we saw in the away game.

As for the squad it's looking remarkably strong and there are probably at least 18 players I'd be happy be to see start. Taylor got the team exactly right for the play-off second leg and I'm reasonably confident we won't see any Tisdale-esqe aberrations. One final thought - if Moxey starts this will be his third Wembley appearance for City and he will have played in a completely different position each time - up front against Cambridge, in midfield against Coventry and in defence today.

IndoMike

Just hope the boys play with confidence, give their all on the pitch and have a great night celebrating. Double fish & chips all round for the victory, boss.

Good luck to Matt, his team and all.the players.

Love from Indonesia

Avening Posse

Very excited. MT has shown what he can do over the last 2 seasons and throughly deserves getting his side promoted. Games like this really are anybody's on the day so why not us !. I don't care how we do it just as long as we do it UTC

memoman

Well-known Exeweb poster
Don't think I can remember being more nervous before a football match. So much at stake, I just hope it's third time lucky.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
As Shakespeare might have said

The game's afoot:
Follow your spirit, and upon this charge
Cry 'God for Harry, England, and Saint James!'
Happy 20th birthday to Harry Kite.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member

iscalad

Just bleddy go for it. UTC

burtiew

I'm more excited today than before I travelled to Wembley for either the Blackpool or Coventry games ... here's hoping that is a good sign. UTC