• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City v Newport County Matchday Thread

On the up

We lack the ability to keep possession in their half. So often this causes us to sit back resulting in late goals

Goal was coming even though I was expecting to pinch the points this week

CREDYGRECIAN

Very well known Exeweb poster
Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
You could just see the equaliser coming - felt for Stockley he was isolated

Red Box

Stockley was like a lazy Freddie Flintoff, he looked leaden legged from the first minute. I am nearly 50 and swear I could outpace him. After his great start he is now looking totally innefective up front. We need a new striker for next season without a shadow of a doubt!

Last edited:

CREDYGRECIAN

Loving the free flowing entertaining football at S
No pace in behind there defence at all for City - Holmes , harley and Nicholls are all good players but none of them are blessed with pace to run behind , they defended deep to be fair by why shouldn't they.

I was impress with Newports no9 & no7 both decent players and the left back first half especially did well

So much tippy tappy football with little end product - and we could of been 2-0 down before we even got going with them hitting the post twice

Nicholls through on goal trying to round the keeper summed it all up

Dire,mistake-ridden 1st half.Could have been 3-0 down.2nd half, got the goal and invited them on after Wheeler got subbed.Our players are good but our team is poor.Thanks Tis

denzil

Bloodywell awful !!!!!!!

Grecian O'Grecian

Well-known Exeweb poster
I'm just so bored of it now. Wouldn't even care if we go on to lose every remaining game 5-0. Season is beyond over.

grecIAN Harris

How bloody frustrating was that. We could have been two down through nobody elses fault but our own but then we could have been two up by half time. Quite what Nicholls was doing after he robbed matey of the ball, God only knows, and Harley was unlucky with his free kick right at the end. Having got our noses in front with a cracking finish for Tillson, who we were quite surprised to see come out for the second because he'd been that bad, I thought we'd start to take control but we didn't. Newport were there to be had but instead we became more and more ponderous going forward and more unsure at the back, especially the usually reliable Moore-Taylor who couldn't read the ball in the wind at all. Eventually we allowed ourselves to be pressed further back because we couldn't get rid properly and conceded with some p!$$ poor marking. Well, I say marking......... six yards out with nobody within five yards of Boden.
The tools are within the club to be better than we performed today but they need to be in the right place. The biggest issue is from the midfield forward today as the back four picked itself. Holmes is tricky winger, play him out there where he is at his most effective. Wheeler isn't a striker. He is another player who is at his most effective playing wide. He reacts too much to what happens up front rather than anticipating and gambling on what might happen. Nicholls should have been the one playing either beside or(probably better) just off of Stockley. If you had two wingers playing properly then the amount of times the ball was on to be slid in around the back (and I'm only talking ten yard passes not twenty/thirty yard through balls), especially in the first half was no odds to nobody. We have the players (although I do think we need somebody to replace Nichols, maybe Olly Watkins is the answer but I haven't seen enough of him to say) and we are good enough if players are played in the right positions.

Last edited:

RaeUK

Cleaner
Staff member
Hopefully the fans who paid good money to attend, some of whom may have travelled considerable distances, will share your satisfaction and optimism
Who said I'm satisfied, Mike?

Greyhound

Well-known Exeweb poster
It do get depressing at times. Makes you wonder whether we could keep a clean sheet against Stoke Hill Juniors.