• We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies from this website. Read more here

Exeter City V Newport County Match Day -Boxing Day Thread.

Avening Posse

Very well known Exeweb poster
Great win in iffy conditions against one of the more physical cloggers in the division. Games like these can go either way, so well happy with the result UTC

Red Devon

A very satisfying win played in filthy weather with the pitch the same...a little bit better decision making from Law and Bowman may have created two or three more opportunities but none the less a very hard working and deserved 3 points.....Parkes and AM were superb at the back again with Maxted looking noticeably more confident since his Salford heroics.

Hants_red

Admin
Staff member
Nigel Atangana was man off the match. Wasn't sure I heard his name mentioned that much, but got the impression that he bossed the middle of the pitch. Thoughts?

Red Devon

Nigel Atangana was man off the match. Wasn't sure I heard his name mentioned that much, but got the impression that he bossed the middle of the pitch. Thoughts?

Personally thought he had a quieter game than against Walsall but kept it simple all afternoon which was just what was needed for the conditions

STURTZ

Happy with that, we set out right, think Martin, Parkes is our best centre back pairing, esp. with the impressive Atangana sitting in front of them, a real presence, strong and stylish. Sweeny was a nightmare with his triangular boots continually letting down promising movement. Sparkes was superb with his passing and crossing, not a defender though and not quick enough for a winger. He's going to be a great player though. Word for Lee Martin, tireless energy, operates better when coming in from the wings, took his goal well. It was a chore out there today and the ability to grind out a win is what me need. Two points from the next two games would give us a great chance of staying in the autos

Matt Russell

Atangana - One fab back heel right in front of us (Block H) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Classy player.

STURTZ

No complaints about The Hux, in fact he gave us a corner and goal kick when they should have gone against us. Crap ref but no actual complaints!

Exehausted

I thought he was outstanding and fully deserved MOM. The whole team seemed really up for it and we got off to a fast start, unlike the previous two games. Nigel was at the heart of that good start, winning tackles and moving it wide as fast as he could. Matt said that although he can walk again Jack was still in pain and because the knee buckled under him, it could be ligaments, but they wont know until he's had a scan. Such a shame if he is out because I think that is by far our strongest back three and midfield five. If Jack is out I guess Matt will play Randell at left wing back as he did when Jack went off. Then Jake at right wing back and Archie coming back into the middle. It's just as well that we have a big squad. Two tough games coming up, but if we compete like we did today we have every chance of getting two wins.

Arthur Davey

Yep, exactly that, imho. Gets better and better. Great to see a City side now with a bit of muscle and height right thru the spine. We knew Newport would try to bully us, but we weren't having any of it.

Red Devon

I thought he was outstanding and fully deserved MOM. The whole team seemed really up for it and we got off to a fast start, unlike the previous two games. Nigel was at the heart of that good start, winning tackles and moving it wide as fast as he could. Matt said that although he can walk again Jack was still in pain and because the knee buckled under him, it could be ligaments, but they wont know until he's had a scan. Such a shame if he is out because I think that is by far our strongest back three and midfield five. If Jack is out I guess Matt will play Randell at left wing back as he did when Jack went off. Then Jake at right wing back and Archie coming back into the middle. It's just as well that we have a big squad. Two tough games coming up, but if we compete like we did today we have every chance of getting two wins.
[/